Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Please suggest on implementation of signal processing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to implement a signal processing scheme on DE0 board (cyclone III) in which,  

1] read data stored on SD card  

2] apply mathematical operations on read data (polynomial) 

3] save the final O/P on a different location in SD card or internal storage in FPGA 

please suggest me how to implement this and what to read/study before going for implementation or any other suggestions of any kind are welcome. 

NOTE : reg, point no. 1 & 3 above, is it possible to read/write as a text file (*.txt, *.csv etc)? I mean like how we load data files in SCILAB or MATLAb etc.  

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How's the data stored on the sd? is there a file system? there's some nice free fat libraries for C if you are willing to add a nios. I think altera also provides some file system support in their hal api

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the data on SD card is supposed to be present in a file, as sequences of 0s and 1s like ; 

I read many articles/tutorials about accesing of SD card using NIOS, but still I feel difficulty in reading back these bits...... 

Also, my doubt is whether these bit sequences can be putted in a file with extension as *.txt or *.csv ??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So it's raw data then? If you can wire the sd to use SPI mode the logic should be pretty easy to write to communicate using SPI. There might be some free SPI cores available too. 

file extensions are meaningless without a file system
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since you want to store the math results into another file on the SDCARD (to be opened on your PC right?) using file system on SDCARD makes things much much simpler. 

You can use FATFS [http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html] which is free & can work with FAT,FAT32 mounts. Porting this to NIOS needs some work, but very do-able. 

As for the hardware, a NIOS II processor, SPI core, 1us timer & memory should be enough. All these are available in the Qsys peripheral library for free. 

Like jderrick said, Altera HAL has some built in support for FAT file systems. This link would be helpful: 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/11.0/university_program_ip_cores/memory/sd_card_interface_for_sopc_builder.pdf
0 Kudos