Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

RUN AS HARDWARE error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello any one !! 

In my custom board,FPGA works well when I download *.pof by AS mode or *.sof by JTAG mode, but I get the error information as following when I "RUN AS HARDWARE" in NIOSII IDE. 

Using cable "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Reading System ID at address 0x02000908: verified 

Downloading 01000020 ( 0%) 

Downloading 01010000 (98%)assertion "m_state == STATE_DEBUG" failed: file "nios2 

debug.cpp", line 1695 

Signal 6 

any one give me some advices? thanks in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by lvguihua@Jun 7 2006, 10:19 AM 

hello any one !! 

in my custom board,fpga works well when i download *.pof by as mode or *.sof by jtag mode, but i get the error information as following when i "run as hardware" in niosii ide. 

using cable "byteblasterii [lpt1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

processor is already paused 

reading system id at address 0x02000908: verified 

downloading 01000020 ( 0%) 

downloading 01010000 (98%)assertion "m_state == state_debug" failed: file "nios2 

debug.cpp", line 1695 

signal 6 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16002) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I can&#39;t say that I have seen that one!  

The messages suggest that you can successfully download .sof and then get control of Nios via its debug core to read sysid -- in fact this means that quite a bit of logic is functioning correctly to get to that point.  

The fact that this occurs during download leads me to suggest that, perhaps, something bad is happening during memory access (write/readback) as your program is downloaded. Is there any way you can independently verify that the RAM you&#39;re targetting is behaving correctly? An example: Try a system with on-chip ram (assuming that the above isn&#39;t from on-chip ram) and do some basic debugging of all memories in the system to verify their operation. If this doesn&#39;t help it might be time to contact Altera support.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jesse+jun 8 2006, 12:59 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (jesse @ jun 8 2006, 12:59 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-lvguihua@Jun 7 2006, 10:19 AM 

hello any one !! 

in my custom board,fpga works well when i download *.pof by as mode or *.sof by jtag mode, but i get the error information as following when i "run as hardware" in niosii ide. 

using cable "byteblasterii [lpt1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

processor is already paused 

reading system id at address 0x02000908: verified 

downloading 01000020 ( 0%) 

downloading 01010000 (98%)assertion "m_state == state_debug" failed: file "nios2 

debug.cpp", line 1695 

signal 6 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16002) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I can&#39;t say that I have seen that one!  

The messages suggest that you can successfully download .sof and then get control of Nios via its debug core to read sysid -- in fact this means that quite a bit of logic is functioning correctly to get to that point.  

The fact that this occurs during download leads me to suggest that, perhaps, something bad is happening during memory access (write/readback) as your program is downloaded. Is there any way you can independently verify that the RAM you&#39;re targetting is behaving correctly? An example: Try a system with on-chip ram (assuming that the above isn&#39;t from on-chip ram) and do some basic debugging of all memories in the system to verify their operation. If this doesn&#39;t help it might be time to contact Altera support. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16005)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Jesse, thanks a lot for your advices!  

I am a new man for NIOSII, and how can I try it with "on_chip ram"? set it in SOPC builder?  

Another, Something new take place in my work today? When I "run as hardware" , sometimes I can downloading, sometimes I get the above error information and sometimes I get the errors information as following: 

Using cable "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Reading System ID at address 0x02000908: verified 

Downloading 01000020 ( 0%) 

Downloading 01010000 (96%) 

Downloaded 67KB in 1.9s (35.2KB/s) 

Verifying 01000020 ( 0%) 

Verify failed  

Leaving target processor paused 

and the most case is the last one!! I check the PCB routing and it is ok but I can not sure if SDRAM is ok now. 

I had asked for the answer from other forum; some people had the same error information as I have, but I can not get the answer from them.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm getting similar errors. I am using an Altera Eval kit, which works with many of the examples that came with it, no hardware problems at all.  

If I build a "Hello World" app using one of the altera Nios II projects that came with it, then it works fine.  

I am trying to build my own Nios II core test system (to use on my design when it is assembled) and I get the "m_state == STATE_DEBUG" error messages.
0 Kudos