Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

Riscfree complains about missing build program for MinGW Makefiles

SeanAB
New Contributor I

I created a NIOS V project with Quartus Prime Lite edition. Used the NIOS V command line to create the BSP using the BSP editor, and then create application project. Using RiscFree IDE, I am able to open the project, but building the project results in an error:

"CMake Error: CMake was unable to find a build program corresponding to "MinGW Makefiles". CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM is not set. You probably need to select a different build tool."

CMAKE was already installed, and I see another version that comes with RiscFree. I thought RiscFree contains all the tools. What am I missing?

Windows 10 is the development OS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Gino_Ashling
Beginner

Hi Sean,

It looks like 'MinGW Makefiles' is selected for building the CMake project.

So please change the 'MinGW Makefiles' to 'Unix Makefiles' under the project properties of RiscFree IDE (C/C++ Build > Host OS overrides) so that, it should use the Unix build tools bundled with IDE.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I will try to replicate it on my side on a fresh install, and let you know.

Anyway, could you provide the screenshot of this error? Just for my reference.

0 Kudos
SeanAB
New Contributor I

@EBERLAZARE_I_Intel 

This video is what I am loosely following: Navigating Nios V - YouTube

I made a little progress by going into the properties, and I see some settings for tool chain editor. Please see attached picture. I don't even know how that would be creating the error.  I closed the program and restarted, and now, I get build error that I have seen before and know how to fix.

0 Kudos
Gino_Ashling
Beginner

Hi Sean,

It looks like 'MinGW Makefiles' is selected for building the CMake project.

So please change the 'MinGW Makefiles' to 'Unix Makefiles' under the project properties of RiscFree IDE (C/C++ Build > Host OS overrides) so that, it should use the Unix build tools bundled with IDE.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Which Quartus version was this? Can you check and try the recommendation from @Gino_Ashling?

Are you also having issues when using Nios V command line to build?:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/726952/23-3/software-design-flow-61523.html

BSP:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/778829/current/board-support-package-editor.html

0 Kudos
SeanAB
New Contributor I

@EBERLAZARE_I_Intel @Gino_Ashling 

I think I resolved the issue. I imported the project instead of creating an empty cmake project using the same name as the NIOS V app creation tool. 

With NIOS II, the Eclipse tool had the BSP and app creation process worked seamlessly.  I understand all this is new, but NIOS V feels like a step backwards at the moment.

I am using Quartus Prime Std Lite 22.1 - and I am running into the IP License issue. I need to get the Standard edition to complete the task.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, we will gladly channel the feedback to our internal team for improvements and also we glad it worked for you.

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos