Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

SRAM interface timing parameters

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm currently setting up my NIOSII system on my own board. 

I've done some measurements on the SRAM_nCS, SDRAM_nWE... signals. 

I find the timing a little bit too tight. 

It seems like it is not possible to change this in the SOPC builder?? 

How can I modify these timings? 

Kind regards, 

nvdb
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please clarify: SRAM or SDRAM?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

oeps, 

it's sram and NOT SDRAM; signals should be SRAM_nCS, SRAM_nWE... 

Kind regards, 

nvdb
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here's what I got from one of the developers. Please tell me if it helps you solve your problem... 

The default dev kit SRAM component (two IDT71V416 chips, normally appearing as 'ext_ram' in example designs) should automatically compensate for timing by adding appropriate Avalon wait states depending on the desired System Clock Frequency. 

Internal memories do not compensate in the same way; other external memories require their own class.ptf files to configure their timing requirements. 

You cannot modify the timing settings of the default component -- it does all the math for you, based on System Clock and it's class.ptf settings. 

There are 3 sets of settings (wait states & setup/hold times), for the following frequency ranges: 

{f <= 50MHz} 

{50MHz < f <= 100MHz} 

{f > 100MHz} 

To get different setting requires making your own component/class.ptf, or hand editing the system.ptf.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply! This was the answer for my question; I&#39;ve tried it in hardware and it&#39;s working. 

Bye.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Great! 

Happy NiosII-ing http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif
0 Kudos