Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

Shared pins on Avalon bus devices

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a problem with SRAM chip and FLASH chip sharing tri-state address/data bus. 

I have configured my custom board and ported flash programmer. I have declared FLASH chip as AM29LV641DH with designator U6 on my board. In the board Quartus design I see correct pinout for tri-state bus:  

- external_memory_address, 

- external_memory_data, 

- ext_memory_readn, 

- select_n_to_the_flash_memory, 

- write_n_to_the_flash_memory. 

Do not quite get it why they use a different convention of naming write and read signals, but maybe I will figure it later http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif  

Now, in my system design using this previously configured board, I added tri-state bus, ext_flash memory which showed up correctly as U6, and a user logic module to my SRAM 16-bits chips on the same bus. 

After nios2 cpu symbol was regenerated I got following signals: 

- chipselect_to_the_SRAM_bank1 (strange anyway, was expecting chipselect_n!) 

- ext_memory_bus_address 

- ext_memory_bus_data, 

- ext_memory_bus_readn, 

- ext_memory_bus_writen, 

- select_n_to_the_ext_flash, 

- write_n_to_ext_flash. 

What is the difference between ext_memory_bus_writen and write_n_to_ext_flash? I have this signals shared on my tri-state bus. How to configure flash chip to share commong ext_memory_bus_writen signal for its write operations? 

Also, on my 16-bit bus I have two (active low) signals: low_byte and high_byte. How to configure them with "byteenablen" Avalon signals?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From an engineer... 

They should declare their chipselect pin to be of type chipselect_n and read the Avalon Bus Specification Reference Manual. Page 80 of 106 talks about shared pins. 

A problem report will be filed saying that the description on page 80 isn&#39;t very good. It should define the pin naming scheme. i.e.  

Is_Shared = "0" yields  

<pin_name>_to_the_<module_name>
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did this solve your problem? 

If not reply and we&#39;ll see if we can do something.
0 Kudos