Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12612 Discussions

Speed grade 7 as config controller on Cyclone DK?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Is there any reason for using a CPLD (in this case EPM7128AETC100) with speed grade 7 as the configuration controller on the Cyclone Development Kit? The timing analyzer from Quartus shows that the fmax is 123.46 MHz for the speed grade 7 and 94.34 MHz for a device with speed grade 10. Speed grade 10 would be enough for a board which is running with a 50 MHz oscillator and would be much cheaper. 

Please comment my thoughts. 

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IMHO, you should have no problem using the -10 speed grade. While you're at it, why don't you use the EPM3128ATC100-10? It is cheaper yet. Note that these devices are not pin-compatible. 

Actually, if you are creating your own PCB, you should look into the new MAX II architecture. I think you'll like it: 

www.altera.com/max2 

-Terry
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The only problem with MaxII being that you can't buy them yet. 

That fact drove me to the EP1C3TC100 on my current board, which is a wee bit of overkill, but then I dropped the separate microcontroller and added a Nios-16 and all was swell...
0 Kudos