Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

USB setup for Linux on Arrow Sockit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've installed the GSRD 14, I've built my FPGA core and I've got them communicating. 

Next I need to get some keyboard input. So I bought a USB OTG to USB adaptor. I've plugged in the keyboard but Linux does not appear to recognise it. I see these in dmesg: 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfsusbcore: registered new interface driver hub 

usbcore: registered new device driver usb 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage 

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid 

usbhid: USB HID core driver 

However the rest does not seem to be set up: 

>lsusb 

unable to initialize libusb: -99 

>ls /dev/bus/usb 

ls: /dev/bus/usb: No such file or directory 

>ls /proc/bus/usb 

ls: /proc/bus/usb: No such file or directory 

I also see nothing in dmesg when connecting/disconnecting devices. 

Should this work with the default kernel? Or do I need to build my own to get this working? 

I saw other distributions with USB mouse/keyboard etc, though these seem to also need the FPGA side configured for video. I have my own FPGA side configuration. 

Any tips greatly appreciated! I might go any try one of the 'full computer' style distributions to at least check my board/cable works in the meantime...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to be clear is no-one replying because this is a stupid question and I should know better/RTFM? Or has no-one actually got USB working with the GSRD standard install? 

I've come to the conclusion I need to rebuild the kernel with some additional options enabled/modules. Unfortunately altera yocto requires an old version of Debian - Jessie is too new. I tried to build it anyway but there is just too much to patch to be practical.  

Its kind of funny because I've been working much lower level - with zpu soft core and usb using the usbhostslave from open cores. Bizarrely it is much simpler to make that work just driving the d+/d- than it is to get USB working in the SOCkit from linux!
0 Kudos