Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

VSCode Nios II command shell

qwk000
New Contributor I

Has anyone tried and successfully enabled the Nios II Command Shell in Microsoft VSCode?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
qwk000
New Contributor I

I'm back!  Ok, to get the build environment (somewhat) integrated into VSCode, the secret is: Launch "code" from the Nios II Command Shell. That way, the path to "make" is known, and the right shell is launched during the build. 

I think these items are needed in the settings for the "Makefile Tools" extension:

qwk000_1-1678401511646.png

If the Makefile is not in the root of the folder, you'll have to tell the extension where it is using setting in the same section shown in the image above.

Now I have clickable links:

qwk000_2-1678401846681.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
qwk000
New Contributor I

qwk000_0-1678397906167.png

That was pretty easy. Just needed better googling skils.

Next, anyone know how to integrate the "make" build into VSCode? Just the simple terminal integration doesn't provide clickable links to errors/warnings.

0 Kudos
qwk000
New Contributor I

I'm back!  Ok, to get the build environment (somewhat) integrated into VSCode, the secret is: Launch "code" from the Nios II Command Shell. That way, the path to "make" is known, and the right shell is launched during the build. 

I think these items are needed in the settings for the "Makefile Tools" extension:

qwk000_1-1678401511646.png

If the Makefile is not in the root of the folder, you'll have to tell the extension where it is using setting in the same section shown in the image above.

Now I have clickable links:

qwk000_2-1678401846681.png

0 Kudos
qwk000
New Contributor I

To get Intellisense working decently in VSCode, in addition to the steps above, follow these steps:

Configure IntelliSense for C++ cross-compilation (visualstudio.com)

0 Kudos
GavinPaterson
Beginner

Hi qwk000,

Apologies for bothering you but thought you might have some advice regards debugging in VScode? I am able to "Build target" using "code ." from my NIOS II command shell in Microsoft Windows 11.  I am unable however to run or debug my application though as I see there are "No launch targets identified"

I receive a message "Cannot 'debug' because there is no launch configuration set and the list of launch targets is empty. Double check the makefile configuration and the build target."

I have checked in the "settings.json" and have "launch.json" populated as follows:

{
    "version": "0.2.0",
    "configurations": [
      {
        "name": "Myapp",
        "type": "cppdbg",
        "request": "launch",
        "program": "${workspaceFolder}/Myapp.elf",
        "args": [],
        "stopAtEntry": true,
        "cwd": "${workspaceFolder}",
        "MIMode": "gdb",
        "miDebuggerServerAddress": "localhost:2334",
        "miDebuggerPath": "/mnt/c/intelFPGA_lite/22.1std/nios2eds/bin/gnu/H-x86_64-mingw32/bin/nios2-elf-gdb.exe",
        "debugServerPath": "/mnt/c/intelFPGA_lite/22.1std/quartus/bin64/nios2-gdb-server.exe",
        "debugServerArgs": "--tcpport 2334 --reset-target --tcppersist",
      }
    ]
  }

for some reason the build executable isn't getting picked up when I go to launch? Do you have any ideas/advice?

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

May I know your windows version you're working on?

0 Kudos
qwk000
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

May I know also the Quartus/Nios II version that you used?

Also, do you have any further questions/help needed?

0 Kudos
qwk000
New Contributor I

Quartus Prime Version 18.1.0 Build 625 Standard Edition

No further assistance needed.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for the update and the information.

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or you may also select your own best answer for other user's experience or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos