Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

compiation of altera bare metal failed with g++ not found

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm a bit frustrated with the soceds tool. even I tried to compile the examples in the altera installation folder, it pop up some strange tool chain issues like g++ not found . Any one know how to fix this tool chain breakage? the axample is Altera-SoCFPGA-HelloWorld-Baremetal-GNU.tar

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what is the soc eds version that you are using? this example suppose to work well....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it happen for all 14.1 and 15.0... I follow some link to install the this  

see this http://ds.arm.com/developer-resources/tutorials/adding-new-compiler-toolchains-to-ds-5/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

happen in both 14.1 and 15.0, I read an article saying there is a requirement to install the tool chain manually. It that required?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

man... let me guess... are you using the window based ds-5 and launch with the short cut?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try do not use the windows short cut, and invoke the elipse or ds-5 via the embedded command shell.... as the embedded command shell will automatically link you too all those require environment tool chain locations..But.. window shortcut won't.... and those read out from the web related with ds-5 maybe is not specifically for Altera products.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

why is this window short cut giving so much issues.. launch the ds-5 from embedded shell had no problem of compilation at all

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the latest soc eds guide i saw fomr the altera web already stated clearly in order to launch the ds-5 elipse, only way is through the embedded command shell. There fore i guess those user who seeing your error usually are from windows based people. :D

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it worked already after i launch the ds-5 from embedded shell for me.. thansk for the tips !!!.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you try to follow those steps from the web for manually install all those tool chain, i tried before, adding window environment and path, end up compilation end with failed ot generate the .axf debug file..... so.... please forget about the window short cut of ds-5 or eclipse.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i believe many people been caught into this windows short cut trap...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm experiencing the same Error on a Linux machine. I want to get started with programming the ARM in my DE1-SoC, so I downloaded the SoC EDS Community Edition. I chosed the Altera-SoCFPGA-HelloWorld-Baremetal-GNU Project for starting with the Altera Baremetal GCC Toolchain, but I get the same g++ not found error when I try to compile the Project. I started Eclipse via Command Shell (is there any different option under Linux?). 

I read that using the original ARM Bare Metal compiler needs a license, but am I right that using the GNU Baremetal GCC Compiler should be possible with the Community Edition, without any additional license? Or may this be the source of my problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@J_FHMS, you need to use the Embedded Command Shell script/file and then run "eclipse" inside that shell. The shell gives environment variables like which compiler to use when building the HWLIB examples.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

@J_FHMS, you need to use the Embedded Command Shell script/file and then run "eclipse" inside that shell. 

--- Quote End ---  

That's the way I did it.
0 Kudos