Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12596 Discussions

differences between nios2-linux and SLS distribution

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have tested the SLS uClinux distribution. After that I have downloaded the the distribution. I notice that it is the same directory architecture that the nios2-linux from nioswiki. The directory nios2-linux contains a uClinux-dist and a linux-2.6 directory 

But this distribution can run on a lot of altera developpment boards (i.e. DE2, NEEK,...) 

What is the différence between this two distributions ? 

I suppose that the SLS is not updated while de nios2-linux is regularly updated thanks to GIT. 

The SLS gives the opportunity to select NEEK in the Kernel Settings under the Processor type and features, and after Platform. With the nios2-linux distribution we have to add support manually for neek with 

create a header files with sopc-create-header-file 

copy it in the arch dir in linux-2.6 

So why is there no support for NEEK plateform on nios2-linux while the SLS ran a lot of plateform on the distribution in 2008 ? (It seems that it is the same distribution) 

And about drivers ? I have a lot of issues to set up the JFFS2. But it seems easy with the SLS distribution (http://www.slscorp.com/lg/bsp/ug_uclinux_neek_bsp_1.5.pdf) and it is also well documented.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFAIK, the SLS distribution is no-MMU only, quite outdated and not updated any more.  

The community distribution supports no-MMU and MMU-enabled architecture and keeps track with the actual official Kernel.  

The community distribution does offer NEEK in the "make menuconfig" options.  

AFAIK, JFFS is being replaced by the UBU file system that is supposed to have some advantages.  

Happy hunting, 

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, you should put this info up in wiki

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Feel free to do this if you can decently remove the "AFAIK"s.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Recently i visited sls website www.slscorp.com and found they also provide distributions for Cyclone III and Stratix IV Development Boards with connected to NEEK with Linux support.  

Also they are provide driver support for sdcard , usb , ps2 ,vga etc...
0 Kudos