Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12618 Discussions

download software to de2 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Every time, i try to download the "hello world" - example from the NIOSII IDE, i get the following error message. 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

I have no idea, whats going wrong, because i can succesful configure my hardware/board with the "standard.sof" file under the examples folder of NIOSII IDE. After i doing that, i start the NIOS IDE, build a new project, based on the "hello world" example and compiled the source code, with no errors. 

If the USB-Blaster [JTAG] want to download the software, the cpu doesn,t response. 

In this forum, many other users have the same problem, but i have not fount a detail solution.  

Is there a bug in the pin assignments of the example file?  

Please help me. It frustrates me.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

After i designed my hardware with the SOPC Builder, i get the pins named "n_reset" and "clk". I mapped "clk" to the PIN_N2 location, but what is the setting for the n_reset-signal??? (DE2 Board with a Cyclone II EP2C35F672C6N)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Which standard.sof file are you referring to? I'm not aware of any DE2-based "standard.sof" files. You need to use designs that are actually created (ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/de2/de2_system_v1.5.zip) for the DE2 board. Any other designs will likely fail....in unpredictable (and perhaps) board damaging ways :-) 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

..\altera\kits\nios2_60\examples\vhdl\niosII_cycloneII_2c35\standard.sof 

This is the system, which i have use and it comes with the nios II ide installing.  

Next i have try to build my own hardware design: 

- niosII/e core 

- jtag_uart 

- onchip_memory (32kB) for software download 

But with the same result! --> CPU doesn´t response 

After i setting up my hardware in the sopc builder, i get a n_reset signal. Which pin / location have i to set for it?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by tux.2000@Jan 24 2007, 12:23 PM 

..\altera\kits\nios2_60\examples\vhdl\niosii_cycloneii_2c35\standard.sof 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=20835) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Right. My point exactly! That design will only function on the Altera Nios II Cyclone II Dev. Boards....not the DE2 board. Use one of the designs from the link I provided in my previous post as a starting point for whatever you&#39;re trying to do. At the very least, these designs should have the correct pinout. 

Best Regards, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, with the right pin assignment now, all works fine. 

Thanks for your help. I am so happy!
0 Kudos