Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

make clean, make mrproper

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It appears as if you can only build your kernel once, I need to enable module unloading in the kernel and when I try to build the kernel I get a "..kernel-2.6.x is not clean, please run 'make mrproper'". 

Maybe you should add a "make clean" option to the eclipse ide menu like the "configure kernel" menu option. 

Adrian
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's definitely an issue with our distribution and it is being looked at. In the meantime, if the build process is complaining that it isn't clean, you need to manually clean it by starting a Nios II SDK Shell and entering the following commands: 

cd $SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/eclipse/plugins/com.microtronix.nios2linux.kernel_0.1.4/linux-2.6.x make mrproper touch arch/nios2nommu/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S 

We'll try to address this by the next release.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks, slightly less drastic than my uninstalling and resinstalling which has now left me unable to build the kernel, resuliting in it failing when it reaches the IDE driver. Still trying to find the problem here. 

Adrian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What target hardware are you using with your Linux Kernel project? If the target hardware doesn't have a Compact Flash module included as one of the devices in your system then the IDE driver won't be able to find the correct symbols in order to do the build... 

In which case, you should re-configure your kernel to remove IDE support and the build should continue from there. 

Ken.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. Slaps forehead. Think I see what's going on now. 

When I originally built the kernel I probably pointed it at the linux_1c20.ptf supplied with uClinux to build, but in reality was using the altera supplied "standard" configuration, that's the only explanation I can see as the altera quartus projects don't actually have the compact flash interface enabled. Time to disable it the kernel and try again. 

That also explains why I was never able to get the compact flash interface to work in uClinux! 

Maybe we should have a sticky thread on the board of things that we've found out, i.e lcd not working if compact flash card is inserted, kernel cleaning, altera projects not having compact flash enabled, etc. 

Once again, many thanks! 

Adrian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It sounds like you might be looking at it the other way around. I think you might have supplied the PTF file for the standard 1c20 project to your kernel since that target hardware doesn't include a compact flash interface. 

Our next release will provide a property page for kernel projects that will allow you to see which ptf file the project is associated with. In the meantime, you can check manually by looking at the STF file in the project. 

And please, keep the questions coming if you've got 'em. 

Ken.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That's what I meant, when it worked orignally I'd used your PTF, but this time after reinstalling I'd used alteras PTF which is why it didn't work. However, when loading a sof to the board I was always using alteras which is where I seemed to lose the plot. 

I'm all out of questions for the moment! 

Try rmmod - it now "works" except it causes a reset, that could be because I was lazy and didn't recompile my module. I'll try recompiling and take it from there.
0 Kudos