Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

"No CFI Table" error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hallo, 

I'm experiencing a lot of problem with Flash memories and nios2-flash-programmer. 

First of all: In SOPC builder, I place a Flash Memory Component (CFI compliant) of custom type. I set 22bits for Addressing and 16 bits for data. Why, when I generate my CPU, I get in QuartusII a component memory address bus like add[22..0] (total:23bits) instead of add[21..0] (22 bits)? This is my first trouble. It's a bug? And, how do I connect this to my memory? add[22..1] or add[21..0]? I think add[21..0] but I'm not sure. 

Second trouble: in SOPC SDK Shell, when I call nios2-flash-programmer, I receive always this answer: 

NO CFI TABLE FOUND AT ADDRESS 0x00000000. 

What does it mean? What is CFI TABLE? Where have I to set it? 

Thanks for any answer. 

G.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

G., 

Regarding the address bus width, it is correct. You should be connecting 22..1 to your 16-bit CFI flash memory. The reason for this is that the CFI flash component connects via a tri-state bridge and the tri-state bridge has to reserve the lsb for 8-bit wide devices. 

A CFI Table is something that exists on every CFI compliant memory, even on those flashes that are only partially CFI compliant (SST, PMC). SW (in this case the flash programmer) reads this table to determine how the device should be accessed, how large , sector size, etc. 

I'd advise you to the following things, in order: 

1. Get the HAL-based flash routines working first. 

- The Memory Test software example has enough to get you going. 

- Have your datasheet handy to make sure that your device is being accessed properly. 

2. Ensure that your flash doesn't require any "overrides". If it does, follow the instructions in the Flash Programmer Guide. 

Good luck! 

- slacker
0 Kudos