Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12620 Discussions

sof and elf into epcs with quartus programmer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've searched Altera and this forum pretty extensivly and have not found the answer to this question. Is there a way to take the FPGA configuration info and the NIOSII software and create a pof file to configure an EPCS with the plain old Quartus Programmer. I do NOT want to use the Flash program for this particular application. I found a description at Altera that makes use of the elf2flash utility with the --after option. I am using Quartus and NIOS v5.0 and it does not seem that this option is supported. I could easily write a little program to combine the srec's of the config and software but I cannot see how to get back to a pof from there. Quartus convert programming files seems to require a sof. It doesn't let me just give it a single hex file I create with the nios2-elf-objcopy. 

Why is this so difficult???
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your choices are: 

1. Upgrade your toolset... 5.0 is darned old and, if I remember correctly, doesn't support what you'd like to do. 

- NOTE: You'd have to write a custom bootloader using this methodology. 

2. Use the Flash Programmer....not sure why you have an aversion to it in the first place. 

Regards, 

- slacker
0 Kudos