Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

what is the problem boot using nfs?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I try to boot linux using nfs. I can successfully configure the ip of the board. 

The last three lines of the messages are as follows: 

VFS:Mounted root (nfs filesystem) 

freeing unused kernel memory..... 

kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init=option to kernel 

I manually change the files in /dev by using the similar command: 

mknod ptyp0 b 0 8  

I change some files but not all. Is it problematic? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

cloud, 

I use the Omni-nfs server v4.2 as the nfs server in windows2000.So I boot the system as nfs is successful.Are you correct the kernel config as Microtronix documents? 

Tony,Zhu
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by zrycq@Oct 31 2004, 08:20 PM 

cloud, 

i use the omni-nfs server v4.2 as the nfs server in windows2000.so i boot the system as nfs is successful.are you correct the kernel config as microtronix documents? 

tony,zhu 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks, I followed the instructions according to the document. It seems that the nfs has been succesfully mounted. And the system did try to get started from nfs system. 

I did not change all the files in the /dev directory. does that matter?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

cloud, 

I create the filesystem in CF card,you may try.And I use the Aletra'stratix 1s10 board.I can startup,can write,can read,but there is one problem that once execute *.exe file ,the uclinux is restarted.The manner that rely on ramdisk,I don't try. 

Tony,Zhu
0 Kudos