OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.

OpenCL SDK license

Jorrit_F_
Beginner

One of our users on a multi-user system needs the OpenCL SDK, and I'm trying to figure out whether and which license I need to install that.  I'm looking at l_opencl_p_18.1.0.013.tgz, the version for Ubuntu.

Looking at the license shown during installation, since this is a multi-user system and the installer does not support per-user installation, I need either a commercial floating license (3.1 B.), or a commercial site license (3.2 C.), or (possibly maybe) a noncommercial floating educational license (3.2 C. 2)). How would I go about obtaining one of those?

At https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-opencl there's only the "FREE Download" option, with no licensing-related questions asked. And if I do indeed download, the registration center lists my license type as "No License/commercial".  So do I have a license or not?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

JorritF,

Thanks for the comment. That package l_opencl_p_18.1.0.013.tgz is the CPU runtime for ubuntu. It is not the SDK developer tools, that package (and it's Windows* os counter part) was associated with an incorrect download.

I edited the portal about a minute ago, so please try to refresh the registrationcenter link for Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications. There should only be one option now. Hopefully this clarifies the licensing concerns, if not please add a comment here.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Jorrit_F_
Beginner

MichealC,

thanks for clearing that up.  Looking at the EULA that comes with the SDK (intel_sdk_for_opencl_2017_7.0.0.2568_x64.gz) and the corresponding (opencl_runtime_16.1.2_x64_rh_6.4.0.37.tgz) it looks like that gives enough permissions out-of-the-box so I can install those.  There doesn't seem to be a runtime for ubuntu, but the redhat runtime appears to install just fine.

Regards,

JorritF

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi JorritF,

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

• The installer package for Ubuntu* OS is the same as the package for the .rpm based distros... the installer uses a translator. 
  • If you can, please opt for the Intel® CPU Runtime for OpenCL™ Applications 18.1. It's an update to 16.1.2. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers.
  • Also, please see the 2019 update for OpenCL™ developer tools that are a part for Intel® System Studio 2019 initial release. It debuted last week along with the cpu runtime. https://software.intel.com/en-us/system-studio. It's an update to the 2017 SDK.
  • Many stability and usability improvements are expected from both packages respectively.
  • If there are licensing concerns... please let me know if we can start a private message to see if we can address/understand goals and deployment needs. This would be much appreciated.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
SailingDreams
New Contributor I

@Michael_C_Intel1 When I click on the above link you mentioned (also here for convenience:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/system-studio ), it takes me to the oneAPI & loT toolkit. Does this have the OpenCL developer tools? 

I am trying to run OpenCL tutorials on an i5-7200 HD Graphics 620 system.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi @SailingDreams ,

Thanks for the interest. Software product offerings have changed quite a bit since 2018. The 2020 release of the SDK for OpenCL is still available here .

Edited for correct link

I strongly recommend OpenCL developers consider DPC++/SYCL as enabled from the oneAPI DPC++ compiler as a heterogeneous computing standard. The SYCL-based solutions have OpenCL runtime paths serving as a backend. See this document for more information.

OpenCL runtimes enabling graphics and CPU hardware targeting are available as independent entities, see this pre-DPC++ article for details.

Hope this helps. I am not assigned to OpenCL and SYCL as of 2020 and thus I have not been deploying those products as much recently. If you have further, more specific questions I recommend starting a new thread in the DPC++SYCL forum or in the OpenCL forum. I'll request one of my colleagues to join the thread.

-MichaelC

SailingDreams
New Contributor I

@Michael_C_Intel1 Thanks for the quick reply. The "2020 release of the SDK for OpenCL is still available here." link in this sentence leads me to a page for openVino, Intel vPro and Intel Vision. Unfortunately it's not clear to me where the OpenCL SDK is on that page.

I did find it here though via google search 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/opencl-sdk/overview.html

As per SYCL, the job postings are asking for OpenCL so I've got to learn that. Perhaps in the future it will be SYCL

Thanks for pointing me to the DPC++. It's interesting.

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

@SailingDreams 

Thanks... That link is correct. Not sure why my link didn't resolve correctly. I'll update my post.

Note that Khronos is a great resource for OpenCL development overviews. I recommend spending time with the OpenCL manual from Khronos if you are not already familiar... also this repo has some useful conceptual diagrams.

Best of luck to you.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos