OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1721 Discussions

Pentium Processor replacement

MikeT2
Beginner

I have a Pentium (R) Dual-core CPU E5300 @ 2.60 GHz, 2600 Mhz Can I upgrade to a Intel 6 core i.e 10th Gen i5 ?

The mother/Base board is Foxconn G31MXP

Desktop system is x64-based. windows 10 pro . currently with only 4.00 GB Ram would update to 16.00 ram.

Any helpful comments welcome. Thanks, Mike

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

To determine if there is a "better" cpu, you need to ask the motherboard/system manufacturer what processors are supported by their bios.   Then, you may be able to select from those.

Increasing memory may help, but I do not believe it is worth the trouble.   If you want something that is a cheap "fix", if you have a sata port available, is to get a 2.5 inch ssd and clone your hdd to the ssd, remove the hdd, and boot from the ssd.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

No, that upgrade is not possible without getting a new motherboard, new memory, new cooler/fan, etc.

0 Kudos
MikeT2
Beginner

Hi AlHill,

Thanks for the info.

Would you know if there is an alternative CPU I could use without going for a full upgrade of motherboard etc.

Funds don't stretch to that right now.

Would you also know if just increasing the Ram to 16 would give me some improvement. ?

Thanks again for your suggestion

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

To determine if there is a "better" cpu, you need to ask the motherboard/system manufacturer what processors are supported by their bios.   Then, you may be able to select from those.

Increasing memory may help, but I do not believe it is worth the trouble.   If you want something that is a cheap "fix", if you have a sata port available, is to get a 2.5 inch ssd and clone your hdd to the ssd, remove the hdd, and boot from the ssd.