Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14567 Discussions

100% CPU usage while playing games -- Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU 2.90 GHz --

Radek7
Beginner

Hello i'm experiencing 100% cpu usage while playing games and i'm little worried that this might hurt my cpu in the future. So that is why i'm writing you this. 
I also sent you few screenshots and txt document which i get from your official applications. 
I hope this is enough to find an issue, if you need anything more, let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Radek

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Radek7, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. Before we proceed with some troubleshooting, may I please know what games are causing this issue? This will help us identify if there is a known issue with the games you are playing. Are there also other software open while playing these games? I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Radek7
Beginner

Hello, mostly when playing rust, but this also happens on other games like league of legends, wow.
Especially when i use some other app while playing game, for example google chrome.
Softwares in background are lightshot, bloody7 mouse app, and riot vanguard.
I might think that riot vanguard does that.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Radek7, 

Thank you for letting us know of the games. I highly recommend to not open other software/ game while you are playing the games as this will surely result to a high CPU usage.  I also have here some recommendations for your system. Upon checking the logs I can see that you may update the BIOS of your system to ensure optimal settings is met. However, since there is a considerable gap between the current and the newest one, I highly recommend updating two BIOS version at a time. Here is an example: 2002 to 2501, 2501 to 2901, 2901 to 3101. You may use this link to download the files:  ROG STRIX B360-G GAMING

Additionally, please update the NVIDIA graphics driver to version: 552.22

Once you do, please follow this additional steps:

• Confirm that no other heavy workload programs are running in the background while playing.
    1. Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
    2. Click the CPU and Memory tabs to check whether anything is using up large chunks of your CPU or RAM (for instance, a web browser with many tabs open).
  • Keep the operating system up to date.
  • Check with the game developer for the latest patches and updates.
  • For online Games 
    • Check the game developer website for suggested network speed in playing the game. Then check if your network will meet the required speed to play in optimum gameplay.

You may also visit this link for more information: How do I Correct a Drop on FPS (Frames Per Second) and High CPU Usage While Gaming on an Intel Processor?

Let me know if you are able to see improvement after doing so. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Radek7
Beginner

Hello, so i updated my bios with the file, you sent me, also updates nvidia drivers and NOW,  suddenly my GPU started to struggle.
Normal temperature of my GPU is around 50°C, when i launched rust and the game loaded into main menu, GPU went from 50°C to 75°C and fans inside my computer started to be really loud.

I'm totally lost, don't know what to do now.

Also thx for your replies and your time.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Radek7, 

I'm sorry to hear that the troubleshooting did not solve the high cpu usage. For now, kindly please make sure that you are loading the default settings in your BIOS. I will also coordinate this with our team for further investigation and get back to this thread as soon as possible. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Radek7
Beginner

Also i wanted to mention that i also cleaned dust from my computer, so that cannot be weather problem that gpu is hitting more temperature.
Doesn't make sense to me, cause like week or two ago when pc was full of dust, had old version of bios and also i was missing 1 gpu driver update, it wouldn't ramp up to temperatures when it has to use fans with that much RPM.

If you need anything, let me know, it's really strange and i feel lost

Thanks for your time,
Radek

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Radek7, 

Thank you for mentioning that you have cleaned the system as well. For now, I will continue on coordinating this with my team and get back on this thread as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos