Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

12700k Unexplained low P-Core frequency

SoidHoid
Beginner

I have an Intel 12700k processor, paired with an MSI Pro-Z690 (DDR5). Back in July I installed XTU. I set a voltage of offset of -0.160V, and ran a benchmark that reported a P-Core frequency of 4.7 and a "score" of 7500.

I ran it again yesterday, it looks like my P-Cores will not rise above 2.49 Ghz, and my "score" comes in around 4300 marks. E-Cores seem to be behaving correctly. I hadn't changed any settings, but I did update the XTU software to the latest version (when prompted).

When I saw it wasn't acting as expected, I reset to defaults, but that has not improved anything. I updated the bios, made sure it was set to defaults (except I turned on XMP), and reinstalled XTU. The P-Core frequency is still not rising above 2.49 Ghz.

I'm at a loss. My P-Cores are running at nearly half of the frequency they're able, and I don't know what to do about it. What could have happened? How do I fix it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Cory
Novice
Hey I think I might of found my problem. Settings top right and go to Advanced Options. My Active Power Plan was set to Power saver. Changed to Ultimate Performance and now getting my P cores back up to 5.2 default.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SoidHoid
Beginner

I ran the Processor Diagnostic Tool (as recommended in a different thread). It said it all passed. Despite that, the processor is definitely not behaving correctly. I've attached the results to this reply. I've also attached a log from a 5 minute stress test from XTU to show what's happening. This is using the default XTU profile. 

Benchmark info  from XTU here: //hwbot.org/xtu/share/1789780

I also find that while XTU is reporting 100% CPU utilization, windows task manager is reporting 75%. 

0 Kudos
Cory
Novice
Hey I think I might of found my problem. Settings top right and go to Advanced Options. My Active Power Plan was set to Power saver. Changed to Ultimate Performance and now getting my P cores back up to 5.2 default.
0 Kudos
Cory
Novice
Sorry in Intel Extreme Tuning
0 Kudos
SoidHoid
Beginner

Turns out that was my problem as well. I don't remember turning it on, but I very well may have. It does work well for power saving though, cuts off about 70W!

0 Kudos
Cory
Novice
I have the same problem with my 12900kf
0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SoidHoid and Cory,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SoidHoid,

I am glad to hear that the issue seems to be solved. I will keep this thread open for a few days so you can monitor your issue. Please, let me know if you face any issues.

Also, here is some information that could be just as a recommendation, and the customer will decide if you want to do it or not. What you are doing is expected, if the PC is getting less voltage, then less performance you going to get; however, we are unable to validate this benchmark score due to being 3rd party tool and because we cannot validate how much time the PC will take to perform the changes. This being said, what we can recommend you is to set everything back to defaults and review the processor's performance with the XTU, if the processor does not present any issues then it is working properly and as expected.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SoidHoid,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos