Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14657 Discussions

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K Overheating

TomaszN
Beginner

Hello and welcome.

My problem with the Intel Core I9 13900K processor.
It has poor performance and overheats. In several cases, immediately after turning on the computer, the BIOS startup screen was very slow. After entering the BIOS (and it was difficult), the CPU temperature was 100 degrees Celsius.

A few seconds after turning on a cold computer!

After a few resets, the temperature suddenly dropped to 50 degrees and the system booted fine.

- Water cooling with block and radiator is operational.
- Thermal paste on the CPU has been checked twice.
- The bios is the latest and restored to factory settings.
- I reinstalled Windows and all drivers.

Attempting to run Cinebench R23 or Cinebench 2024 ends with the program hanging.
Attempting to run the Benchamark test in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility causes the temperature to jump from 40 to 100 degrees within 1-2 seconds (!) and after a while ends with the program shutting down or a blue screen.
In 3DMark during the Time Spy benchmark, the same thing happens - after 2 seconds of the CPU test, the CPU temperature jumps to over 100 degrees and the test is interrupted.

When i made this solution (from community Intel):

• In BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select the "Normal" option, select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option, change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V" Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the game crash disappears and the system is running stable."

Then I can run Benchmark in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and Cinebench, but the temperatures during the test reach 100-105 degrees Celsius and the processor achieves very low results in the tests.

I think my processor is damaged and I would like to have it checked or replaced under warranty.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello TomaszN,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Since you are requesting for replacement for this processor, it is better if you can create a support ticket to claim warranty from your local support team. Please open the link below and create a support case for this processor.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html#support-intel-products_873:873

I will send an email to provide the case number we created for this thread.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TomaszN
Beginner

!! I solved the problem with the temperature over 100 degrees !!

There are no half measures when it comes to cooling 13th and 14th generation Intel processors!

What I did:
1. Frame for the processor socket (Thermal Grizzly or Thermalright (cheaper but works the same)). This is a must do! Look here: Frame to CPU socket 

2. The type of cooler and block for these processors is of great importance. When I had something like this: 'Navis RGB 120 Silentium PC'. I thought it would be enough and I was very wrong
only after installing the branded 360 cooler (I installed Gigabyte Aorus WaterForce X 360) did the temperatures drop dramatically.

3. It is necessary to take care of the voltage, current and frequency settings of the processor. The BIOS won't do it automatically! BIOS will do it wrong. Very bad!
Check out this: Motherboard Default settings could be COOKING your CPU!  and see what the Intel Genuine Limit values are for your processor.

4. Install the 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility' software and set the parameters appropriate for your processor.

After installing the frame and changing the cooling to a larger and good quality one, the processor passes all tests (Cinebench, Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark and 3DMark benchmarks during which it is stable and temperatures are 70-80 degrees!

He's finally at peace:)  And I thought my processor was damaged.  Wrong! My cooling and BIOS settings were the cause of the CPU cooking from the first seconds of heavy load.

0 Kudos