Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14581 Discussions

14600K idle temp is high?

Taewoon
Beginner
Hello
I am using 14600k processor and msi b760 mortar mother board.

I did not overclock the cpu and also I limited max boost clock at 4.5Ghz with bios option.

But the idle temp seems to be somewhat high when it is compared with non K cpu.
(5-10°C.)

When idle, its clock speed is 1100Mhz and temp is about 35 with fan cooling.

But when I use 14500 or 13500 cpu, the idle temp is 25 at the similar colck speed.

why does it have differences at the same condition??

Generally k cpu has high temp at the same cpu frequency and voltage??
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, Taewoon.

Thank you for posting in our Community.

You've already taken several steps to address the elevated idle temperature of your Intel Core i5-14600K processor. It's important to acknowledge that "K" series CPUs are typically geared towards overclocking and may inherently generate more heat than their non-"K" counterparts due to their unlocked multiplier. However, a notable 10°C disparity in idle temperature between your i5-14600K and non-"K" CPUs like the i5-14500 or i5-13500, operating at similar clock speeds, warrants further investigation. Here are a few possible explanations for this discrepancy:

1. The i5-14600K may have a distinct thermal design compared to the non-“K” CPUs, which could account for the higher idle temperature. Even if you haven’t overclocked the i5-14600K, it’s conceivable that the CPU is receiving higher voltages by default compared to the non-“K” CPUs. Elevated voltage levels can result in increased heat production.
  2. Overclockable CPUs such as the i5-14600K are engineered to manage higher power loads, which inherently produce more heat. Consequently, even at equivalent clock speeds, the i5-14600K might exhibit higher temperatures than a non-K CPU due to its elevated power limit.
  3. Intel K series CPUs are ‘unlocked’, implying they can be overclocked. Although manual overclocking hasn't been implemented on your i5-14600K, it may autonomously boost its clock speed under specific conditions, leading to elevated temperatures.

Moreover, be sure to review your BIOS settings to confirm that power-saving features are activated and that the CPU is functioning within its thermal boundaries. It's customary for K series CPUs to run slightly warmer than their non-K counterparts, even when operating at equivalent clock speeds and voltages. If your CPU's temperatures remain within Intel's specified safe range and you encounter no performance issues, there's likely no cause for alarm. However, if temperature concerns persist, enhancing your PC's cooling solution could be worth considering.

For more information about the idle temperature and unlocked/locked of your processor, kindly visit the Intel links/articles below:

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Taewoon.

I trust you're doing well.

I have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos