Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14638 Discussions

6 monitors at the same time

Alen_alexi
Beginner
Hi dears
Core i9 12900ks. Rog strix z690 egaming wifi. PSU 1200.64 GIG ram dominator.
I have the system.
I wonder if this can handle or support 6 monitors at the same time.
And, if the system can display each monitor not as like as minor one(extended each monitor differently.)

Any help would be appreciated
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KrissyG
New Contributor II

You did not mention having any dedicated graphics card, in which case you are using the inbuilt intel graphics?

In that case, 4 is teh max number of monitors. So 6 monitors, regardless on which setting is not possible.

KrissyG_0-1712579378356.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KrissyG
New Contributor II

You did not mention having any dedicated graphics card, in which case you are using the inbuilt intel graphics?

In that case, 4 is teh max number of monitors. So 6 monitors, regardless on which setting is not possible.

KrissyG_0-1712579378356.png

0 Kudos
Alen_alexi
Beginner
First of all thank for the time.
Sorr for not being clarified.

Geforce rtx3090ti
And, motherboard supports two on board monitors itself.
So, I wonder the cpu can support 6 monitors considering the system

And. If it needs more PSU?
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

unfortunately, you can use either the in-built graphics, or your 3090ti, and unfortunately, both do equally max 4 monitors, so without new hardware you can do 4 max at a time. 

....So you would need a new card, on top of that it needs a lot of VRAM, like 10 or 12 GB. 

PSU doesn't really matter, unless you get new hardware that draws a lot more power.

0 Kudos
Alen_alexi
Beginner
But, now, I am using 4 monitors. two monitors by built in graphics, and the others by rtx3090ti.
I wonder, it is normal such a usage ?

And, would you please tell me what you mean by vram here?

Thanks
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

what? you can use both at the same time? that is news to me. And none of the monitors is a clone? you can have sperate desktops on each?

vram = video RAM, wait, does your 3090ti has 24GB VRAM? then forget what i said, that thing could theoretically handle more than 6 monitors, more like 8 or almost 10, if it had enough display ports, or HDMI ports.

0 Kudos
Alen_alexi
Beginner
Yes, they are working . Each monitor has it's own display. I can filming it.
I have separate desktops on each.
But, would you please simplify the following?

vram = video RAM, wait, does your 3090ti has 24GB VRAM? then forget what i said, that thing could theoretically handle more than 6 monitors, more like 8 or almost 10, if it had enough display ports, or HDMI ports.
0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

what i said means, that your 3090ti coul run with maybe even 10 monitors.

Windows 10, supports up to 10 monitors. 

Unless you asked about the VRAM.....you need VRAM for example to render high resolution images at high frame rate, in other words, 4k gaming at 200fps.....or, in your case, you need it to display Images or videos on multiple monitors at the same time.

im bad at explaining, you may want o Google for it if you want to know more details.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Alen_alexi,
There is Video RAM (VRAM) built into your graphics card. For the internal graphics engine, however, there is no VRAM. Instead, a portion of the system RAM is used as VRAM. The size of this portion is grown or shrunk based upon current graphics needs. Up to 50% of the available system RAM may be used if necessary.
Now, your processor can support up to 4 monitors and your graphics card can support up to 4 monitors. As resolutions are increased - especially to 8K - the ability of either engine to support their maximum number of monitors will be reduced.
@KrissyG,
Yes, both graphics engines can be used simultaneously. This often surprises folks because, in Desktop systems, the BIOS default is to disable the internal graphics engine if an add-in graphics card is detected as being present. This default can be overridden from BIOS Setup, however and both engines used.
Hope this helps,
...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

well actually, older versions of Win10, did not allow mw to enter BIOS from DP port. So i had to use HDMI from the motherboard instead of the Radeon card that i have. And from the first installation, the Intel graphics was not disabled, i actually disabled it myself to see if i can enter BIOS from the Radeon card...... ended up in resetting the CMOS bcoz then i could not enter BIOS at all.

And my motherboard does not seem to allow using both GPUs at same time.....well, i use one monitor only anyway.. .and yes i tried it.

0 Kudos