Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Any apps for checking Xeon processor for OSX or Linux??

esteel_paz
New Contributor I

Folks:

I'm running a Xeon 3.2 GHz Quad-core cpu in my '12 MacPro desktop, running multi-boot options in OSX and various linux installs.  Recently "Tumbleweed" started providing upgrades for "2000 packages" every other week . . . and it seems like processing that many packages is bogging the cpu?

A gent on the SUSE forum suggested that based on data I was asked to supply there that my cpu was "under-performing per benchmark spec."  On the XYMer's Home Away from Home forum I got a link to an Intel product for "intel-power-gadget" app, but when I tried to install it it was declined, saying, "This app is for second generation and forward."

I'm assuming that the Xeon is "gen 1" . . . ??  The question is, are there any apps from Intel that I could use to test the cpu for status in the grand scheme of its useful life??  Looking through the download options today I found another app but scrolling down it said, "We have nothing for OSX or linux in this app"????

Is there something else that does have something for either OSX or linux??  I don't do Windows, sorry . . . .

0 Kudos
1 Solution
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge et al:

OK, thanks for that.  I went with https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onemkl-benchmarks-suite.html  . . . the Prime95 app probably would be similar.  Onemkl tested up to "18K" and "passed" each of those tests.  Didn't have time to run it longer.

But, thanks for playing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

So . . . does the lack of response mean that there are no Intel provided apps for Apple machines, and nothing for linux users?  Or, it's just taking some time to dig around and find them?

Seems like these days there are a lot of Apple machines running Intel cpu's . . . same on linux based machines . . . but only PC users want to be able to check the performance levels on their cpu???

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is just that, with the low single digit marketshare, it is simply not worth the effort.  If Apple wants to create an app, or the wayward linux folks want to create an app, let them do so.  Just an opinion.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@AlHill 

OK, thanks for sharing your opinion . . . .  "Linux" I get as "single digit," but Macintosh??  seems like it should be more of a slice of the pie?

Perhaps there is something that would run in "wine" if I looked into it . . . but I believe there are a s**t ton of classic Mac Pro towers out there that people are trying to flog on, for which, having an app from Intel for those people would be . . . "good business practice"??

I suppose not . . . ???

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

This might be the "Intel" answer to the question posted here?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onemkl-benchmarks-suite.html 

I'll check it in a day or so, and if it works out I'll mark this thread as "solved by the OP."

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello esteel_paz,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We do have a tool that can be run on Linux; however, this one doesn’t work for every Xeon processor; therefore, please make sure you check on our ark.intel.com website the model of your processor and see if it belongs to any of the supported families. You can find more details about the tool in the link down below.

Intel® Data Center Diagnostic Tool for Intel® Xeon® Processors

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058107/processors/intel-xeon-processors.html

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@Victor_G_Intel 

Thanks kindly for the reply and the info . . . I'm "hoping" that my cpu will qualify for your linked app . . . but in looking at the "About this Mac" data for the cpu I can't tell if any of the data provided matches up with the listed qualifiers . . . .

I thought that it is "i7" but all it shows is "Quad-Core Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz" which is OEM processor for my '12 Mac Pro desktop.  It's not showing anything like "Ivy Bridge" or anything like "Gen 1" or "Family xxxx" . . . .  I searched your site with the serial number they provided, but it came back "no results."

Any hope that this cpu will be supported by your linked app?  I have a range of linux installs and I have a range of OSX installs as well, if any apps would work better with OSX???  It's "older" but not "totally ancient" just yet . . . .

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@Victor_G_Intel 

I checked the everymac web site and it looks like the cpu is the "Nehalem"  W3565  Quad-Core . . . but trying to find that in your linked app or over in the ark site . . . ???

Not sure where in what sub-category of Xeon Processors to find that in??

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello esteel_paz,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, we need to inform you that your processor is already discontinued; therefore, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it; however, our fellow community members may have the knowledge to jump in and help. Thank you for understanding.

Note: The tool that we shared is not compatible with the family that your processor belongs to; therefore, I believe your best options will be to rely on the community or look for help in some other online forums.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@Victor_G_Intel 

OK, not too surprised to hear that . . . "discontinued item" . . . .  It is my belief however that I could buy that same processor via Amazon . . . so there still is a "continuing supply" of them to be found??

I'm sorry to hear that the tool wouldn't work . . . the instructions for installation were very clear and helpful.  Might be interesting to try to install it and see what shows up???

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I

All of that is coming up with this result.

Intel Xeon processors (Nehalem-based)

"Lynnfield" (45 nm)

"Bloomfield" (45 nm)

"Jasper Forest" (45 nm)

"Clarkdale" (MCP, 32 nm)

"Gulftown" (32 nm)

"Gainestown" (45 nm)

"Jasper Forest" (45 nm)

"Westmere-EP" (32 nm) Efficient Performance

"Westmere-EX" (32 nm) Expandable

"Beckton" (45 nm)

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

OK.  Thanks for that data.  What are you trying to say with it?  Intel says their apps don't offer support for '12 cpus . . . are you saying that if we call it one of those listed names now the app will work??

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I

Is this something that you're looking for? As far as how much information you get.

I do agree that I get a little bit more information for the things provided from Intel. I'll include another image below. But, that's because I have a specialized Intel package. I wouldn't say it's designed definitely for me.

I mean you got a computer. And it is pretty strong. But, that Mac is still created for a targeted workforce. How demanding can your computer be?

windows.png

Info Capture.PNG

esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

Yes, that looks like what I'm looking for . . . something that shows "benchmarking" of ye olden Bloomfield era cpu . . . that might be it.

As far as the "demands of my computer," other than electricity my machine is fairly low maintenance and my needs aren't particularly high for it . . . .  But the issue was described in post #1 of this thread, frequent high number of packages to upgrade in Tumbleweed . . . which seems to be putting a load on the "throughput" capacity of the present cpu????

Guy on the SUSE forum says from his testing of my data the cpu is "under-performing" per spec.  Question is, how much is it under-performing?

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I
I don't know how to reply to some of the questions here. Very vague. First people ask for programs to check cpu then they want a whole wild benchmark product.
Did you try this?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/674424/maccpuid.html
0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I
And it's Bloomfield. There are no ark pages. But, there is a product page for downloads and information.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/39721/intel-xeon-processor-w3565-8m-cache-3-20-ghz-4-80-gts-intel-qpi/specifications.html
0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

OK, yes, it does look like "Bloomfield" . . . .  Thanks for that link to the OSX option, but it's not the "basic" data for the cpu that I'm looking for . . . but, yes, something more along the lines of a "benchmark" type test of the cpu to see if it is "healthy" and "happy" in its life . . . .

Anything that would "grade" the cpu's performance or show how it is functioning . . . .  That question hasn't changed from post #1.

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I
Okay. My phone is a little bit slow.
For that you can get something from a different contributer. https://www.mersenne.org
I would like to see cool utilities from Intel. But, I know they're not responsible for the media of bourne devices they sell. Not even all of them. That would be the job of the manufacturer of the computer you bought. You bought a Mac.
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

OK, thanks for that link . . . that was previously suggested on the SUSE forum . . . haven't had a chance to figure out how to install and run that in linux . . . or in OSX . . . .  But, I might have a better idea of that now.  It looks similar to the distributed.net effort . . . where we are all working on "solving a puzzle" . . . but in my case I'm using the GPU to run stats . . . .  The prime95 guys are doing something similar, but then builds a report of how your cpu is doing, along with that??

So, you posted that data from the Intel "Extreme Tuning Utility" before . . . which looked "good" . . . I'm assuming now that doesn't support the Bloomfield cpu???

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I
Oh. I was trying to answer the actual question. That's probably temporary while Apple reduces process LP.
0 Kudos