Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

Any apps for checking Xeon processor for OSX or Linux??

esteel_paz
New Contributor I

Folks:

I'm running a Xeon 3.2 GHz Quad-core cpu in my '12 MacPro desktop, running multi-boot options in OSX and various linux installs.  Recently "Tumbleweed" started providing upgrades for "2000 packages" every other week . . . and it seems like processing that many packages is bogging the cpu?

A gent on the SUSE forum suggested that based on data I was asked to supply there that my cpu was "under-performing per benchmark spec."  On the XYMer's Home Away from Home forum I got a link to an Intel product for "intel-power-gadget" app, but when I tried to install it it was declined, saying, "This app is for second generation and forward."

I'm assuming that the Xeon is "gen 1" . . . ??  The question is, are there any apps from Intel that I could use to test the cpu for status in the grand scheme of its useful life??  Looking through the download options today I found another app but scrolling down it said, "We have nothing for OSX or linux in this app"????

Is there something else that does have something for either OSX or linux??  I don't do Windows, sorry . . . .

0 Kudos
1 Solution
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge et al:

OK, thanks for that.  I went with https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onemkl-benchmarks-suite.html  . . . the Prime95 app probably would be similar.  Onemkl tested up to "18K" and "passed" each of those tests.  Didn't have time to run it longer.

But, thanks for playing.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
lEdge
New Contributor I
You could probably just
-$ship ..//asp.tm
0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge et al:

OK, thanks for that.  I went with https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/onemkl-benchmarks-suite.html  . . . the Prime95 app probably would be similar.  Onemkl tested up to "18K" and "passed" each of those tests.  Didn't have time to run it longer.

But, thanks for playing.

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I

Okay. That's cool. I just recently reported some cool information from the developer side of Intel myself.

However while I'm still getting comfortable with the XTU and Benchmarking software myself. I noticed that it doesn't always seem to put all the stress on my CPU. I'm perfectly comfortable with the 3.2 Ghz limit. It's just that I know this CPU will run it's 3.5 as advertised. Of course nothing to be putting any lame information for your problem. Let's just say you're not missing much except this Bios look. And a candy tool that's going out of service. Well, this candy tool is already out of service I just happen to have a back up. I also need a .Net to run full GPU test. But, that's just my OS. So watch out.

Active Intel Capture.PNGno board manufacturer information availableno board manufacturer information available

esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

You must be running Windows??  I'd be happy to be able to use that kind of GUI app to check the cpu . . . not looking for bleeding edge performance, just for parameters of function.  The "onemkl" app seemed to have progressive levels of stress it was putting on the cpu . . . I ran out of time before it did its whole check . . . got it up to "18K"????

When you say .Net are you referring to "distributed.net"???  I do run that on occasion . . . via the GPU options, but it doesn't exactly provide "analysis" . . . it just spins up the GPU to "full tilt" . . . .

0 Kudos
lEdge
New Contributor I

I mean .net 3.0 with partial 2.5. It's required by windows to handle the modes of the gpu model. It's basically just standardized software. Well in my windows case it just handles more of the hardware assistance of the computer. It's like a side by side driver handler. It has a feature that has the welcoming as a second computer processor. Of course it doesn't actually do any processing. It's just that I have that feature disabled and had to download from the update service. I don't recall why it's not enabled. And why XTU asked for it. Otherwise that was the last step off skipping out on it. The GPU stress test doesn't start otherwise.

To be honest the .Net program has too much power. They already moved to the Mac products. It's one of those properties that doesn't stay current. Constantly updating like HTML and SQL.

Then again it looks kind of shy because the top level domain is https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/ 

When it should be something else. Which apparently is owned by https://gobertram.com/ 

It's supposed to be dotnet .com .net .ww

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

@lEdge 

Looks like you are definitely "getting under the hood" of your system . . . .  I usually don't mess around there very much, I just have a bunch of linux installs that I more or less run as "stock" systems.  Only recently did I learn about adding a script that would run upgrades in SUSE install, because of their regular package upgrades in the thousand plus range, every week.

It's a "rolling" distro, but that used to mean "150" packages every week . . . now it was becoming "1500" or "2500" . . . a lot of "processing" . . . .  Hence my post here . . . .

0 Kudos
esteel_paz
New Contributor I

OK . . . .  Cool.  But, Ubuntu has moved on from 16.04 some time back . . . .  I'm running Lubuntu "kinetic" (22.10??) on this machine and in Tumbleweed which has the "5.18 xxx" kernel . . . .  In my what, "Bloomfield" Xeon processor.

You probably could move up to . . . 18.04???

0 Kudos
Lincolin
Beginner

There are several apps that can be used to check the details of a Xeon processor on macOS or Linux. Some popular options include:

1. lscpu: A command-line utility that can display information about the processor, including the model name, number of cores, clock speed, and more.

2. hwinfo: A command-line tool that can display information about various hardware components, including the processor.

3. dmidecode: A command-line utility that can display information about the system's hardware and firmware, including the processor.

4. lshw: command-line utility that can display detailed information about various hardware components, including the processor.

5. sysctl: command-line utility that can display information about various system parameters, including the processor.

6. System Information: On MacOS, you can use the "About This Mac" option in the Apple menu. Then click on the "System Report" button. It will show you detailed information about your system, including the processor.

All of these tools are open-source and can be easily installed on macOS or Linux. Note that some of these tools require root or administrator access to use.

0 Kudos