Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Design documents for i3-8121U Cannon Lake

JSmit289
Beginner

Hi there, I have multiple NUC8i3CYSM featuring i3-8121U Cannon Lake processors of which is lacking intel documentation, with only the intel ARK page available.

I am in need of a datasheet or information on the processor, in particular the PCH. I understand that it is a unique CPU so is unlikely to have a datasheet, the closest datasheet I can find is the Whiskey Lake-U (Core i3-8xxxU). However the PCH is clearly different, and no mention is made of the differences. Also, there are Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake R processors within the i3-8xxxU generation, making things more confusing! Help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JSmit289,

Thank you for your response.

The information still considered confidential for this processor model. That’s the reason, we need to follow the CNDA process to get that specific information.

At this point, the best way to proceed is to submit the request via the Resource & Design Center.

I hope that the appropriate support will help you with this.

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JSmit289,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I would like to inform you that you are looking at the correct documentation for this processor model.

These documents apply for Intel® Core™ processors,  in this case for the i3-8xxxU.

Datasheet, Volume 1

Datasheet, Volume 2

In case that the information that you need is not listed in those documents you can check with the Resource & Design Center for more information about the product specifications. 

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@EstebanD_Intel​, what I/O or PCH Datasheets go with this processor datasheet?

...S

0 Kudos
JSmit289
Beginner

Thank you @EstebanD_Intel​ , the datasheets are useful but incorrect for i3-8121U in particular. The datasheet only talks about LPDDR3 despite i3-8121U supporting LPDDR4. As such, I cannot use the LPDDR3 interface signals and values given in the datasheets you have provided. Furthermore, other values such as junction temperature and turbo boost values in table 5-2 do not fit i3-8121U specification, so I cannot trust the rest of the datasheet to also be accurate for the i3-8121U.

Also, the Resource & Design Center requires a NDA business account for the Cannon Lake resources, even though the i3-8121U is not a pre-release or future CPU, I am a normal developer not an intel partner with hardware that is not new.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello All,

We will do further research and update this thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
JSmit289
Beginner

Thank you, I understand that this is not a simple question to be solved and appreciate your help.

Here is the link in the Resource & Design Center that I am unable to access without an corporate NDA privileged intel account, despite my Cannon Lake processors being a few years old already.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products-and-solutions/processors-and-chipsets/cannon-lake-u-y/technical-library.html

0 Kudos
JSmit289
Beginner

Also, I have noticed that this support ticket has the Intel® Core™ i3-8130U Processor listed as the product in question. In case this was a mistake, I would just like to restate that I am interested in the Intel® Core™ i3-8121U which is different to the i3-8130U. It may just be that you were unable to select the i3-8121U in the ticket details, in which case I apologise.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JSmit289,

I would like to inform you that we are currently investigating this situation for you. Also, we are working with the Intel® Core™ i3-8121U you mentioned.

We will provide an update as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JSmit289,

I would like to provide an update on this thread.

Any of the platform design information is only available via the Resource & Design Center and as you noticed a CNDA is required.

Please follow the instructions provided in the Registration link to apply for CNDA.

As an alternative, I would recommend you contact an Intel® Authorized Distributor if you need assistance on product design, they may be able to help you.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
JSmit289
Beginner

Hi Esteban, thanks for your help. It seems that is as much info as I'll get regarding this product. Is there a reason why an old, released unit remains under a CNDA?

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello JSmit289,

The information still considered confidential for this processor model. That’s the reason, we need to follow the CNDA process to get that specific information.

At this point, the best way to proceed is to submit the request via the Resource & Design Center.

I hope that the appropriate support will help you with this.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
JSmit289
Beginner

Hi Esteban, thank you very much for your response.

I​ consider my question solved.

0 Kudos