Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14791 Discussions

Gigabyte BIOS and Gigabyte Support Team

KrissyG
New Contributor II

My main question is - does anyone who has an i7 13700k and any Gigabyte motherboard, experiences higher idle power usage?

By higher, i define more than 5Watts on idle, and Windows Power Options on 'Balanced'. 

KrissyG_0-1717883247030.png

As i swapped the motherboard from Gigabyte B760  to Z790 series, the idle power usage jumped from 3~5W to more than 10W, but depending on BIOS version, it was as high as 15W.

I actually posted a question to Gigabyte eSupport:

Idle CPU package power usage is too high.Is there any way to achieve a lower CPU package power draw?I use Intel's XTU to check the temperatures as well as the power.The Z790 motherboard came with BIOS ver. F3.I tried BIOS version F11f which is the most recent one, and the idle CPU package power usage is about 15 Watts, exactly teh same as on teh BIOS ver. F3.With BIOS ver. F10 the power usage on idle stays at about 11Watts - which is still too high.I have not tried older BIOS versions as i want to keep some of the upgraded capabilities of the BIOS.My previous motherboard Gigabyte B760 GAMING X DDR4 had the idle CPU package power at 3Watts with the oldest BIOS as well as with F7, F8 and F9.I tried all possible settings, but i can not get the CPU package power to drop below 11Watts on the Z790 motherboard, only the BIOS version seems to affect the power draw, but not the settings. All screens of power usage from the Z790 motherboard has been taken with BIOS loaded with optimized settings.

with this image:

KrissyG_2-1717884562779.png

Gigabyte answer:

Dear customer,
Thank you for emailing GIGABYTE.Our team did answer like this:

There are many factors would cause TDP idle wattage such as CPU and memory.

Did customer try to use another CPU and memory model to check?

The Z790 chipset is better than B760. Hardware design need more power wattage to maintain system stability.

Please kindly enable C-states control and enable related bios settings such as CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), C6/C7/C8/C10 State Support.

Please disable Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology and Intel(R) Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0.

Please also can try to lower CPU voltage to check.

Regards

GIGABYTE Team

....to which, at their odd and unlogic answer somewhere end of May, i replied this:

"Hardware design need more power wattage to maintain system stability."
....this does not explain why BIOS F10 allows the CPU to go as low as 11Watts on idle, and BIOS F11 (released few days ago) can not go below 15Watts.

They literally deflected my problem/question, telling me that BIOS is based on intel code (this means, in their opinion, yes, it's just an opinion, Intel may be at fault, and not Gigabyte BIOS):

Dear customer,

Thank you for your answer.

Our team did answer like this:

We’ve only update bios code based on Intel code provided.

If there’s no unstable issue, customer doesn’t need to worry about it.

Please wait for the next release bios version to check.

In addition, please kindly cross check all peripherals such as CPU, RAM, and PSU to find out if the problem cause from it.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards

GIGABYTE Team

This here were the two insults that i can't just ignore: 
"Did customer try to use another CPU and memory model to check?"
"....If there’s no unstable issue, customer doesn’t need to worry about it."

Today i looked up on the motherboard 'Downloads' page, if there has been some changes.
New BIOS has been indeed released (2days ago), and it again broke some of the XTU functionality, but at least i get now the lowest idle power usage so far with the z790 motherboard, which is 10W and sometimes 9W.
Proving i was correct with my statements.

The ilde power usage is still way too high in my opinion, and YES, BIOS version affects idle power usage.

KrissyG_1-1717884454041.png

The faulty beta F12b BIOS has also, finally, Intel defaults, which disables some other options, such as 'PerfDrive':

KrissyG_4-1717885220919.png

And when i disable defaults, i get this warning: 

KrissyG_3-1717885190034.png

In other words, up until now i have been potentially reducing 'life of the processor and other components' without knowing it, bcoz there was no such options before 2 days ago , nor any such warning.

With this last insult, Gigabyte is literally washing the guilt off their hands.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hi KrissyG,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

For us to check your request, please provide the following information.

1. Has enabling the Intel default settings in the BIOS led to a reduction in the high power consumption observed in your CPU?
  2.  Have you noticed any performance issues with your system since using the i7 13700k processor? Additionally, could you provide the range of power consumption for your CPU when it is under a heavy workload?

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

1. Has enabling the Intel default settings in the BIOS led to a reduction in the high power consumption observed in your CPU?
  2.  Have you noticed any performance issues with your system since using the i7 13700k processor? Additionally, could you provide the range of power consumption for your CPU when it is under a heavy workload?

1. The screenshot with 3 different BIOS versions, also on two different motherboards.....the Z790 motherboard had BIOS on default settings.
The B760 was not affected regardless what BIOS settings i made, the ilde power would eventually drop to 3~5Watts.
In the screenshot the Vcore Loadline Calibration was set to 'ultra extreme' for the B760 motherboard. 

2. No, no performance issues, only that the CPU can not be kept at reasonable temperatures while drawing 250W, at least not for a long period of time.

The power range for the i713700kin my case is as follows:
- Z790 Aorus Elite DDR4; depending on BIOS version, from 10W up to 324W (VRMMOS temperature stays below 60°C)
- B760 Gaming X DDR4; 3W up to 314W (VRMMOS temperature reached as high as 80°C and the PCB of the motherboard itself reached 94°C, which was the reason i switched to Z790)

So far Gigabyte released at least 3 BIOS versions this year alone, BIOS F11f in April, F11 in May and F12b this very month.
After they released F11, the F11f is no longer available for download.
But i have them saved:

KrissyG_2-1718120834599.png

Today their support page offers this BIOS version:

KrissyG_0-1718119891493.png

The most recent BIOS F12b, has the 'Intel default settings' no BIOS version before that, had such option available. 
Still F10 has best idle power usage and all XTU functions work as expected, i have not found any bugs with F10. 

Also, despite default TDP at 253W, the B760 Gaming X DDR4 can not handle that power at all.

Thanks for the quick reply.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi KrissyG,

Thank you for your reply.

Please give me some time to review this request. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi KrissyG,

Thank you for your patience.

While reviewing this request, it would be helpful to check if there are any background processes that might be contributing to this issue when you notice the increased power usage.

Additionally, it's also important to know whether you have made any modifications in the BIOS settings or if you have attempted to overclock your CPU since you mentioned that F10 has the best idle power which is the BIOS default.

Understanding these details will enable us to provide you with more targeted assistance and ensure your system operates optimally.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

@Caguicla_Intel wrote:

Hi KrissyG,

Thank you for your patience.

While reviewing this request, it would be helpful to check if there are any background processes that might be contributing to this issue when you notice the increased power usage.

Additionally, it's also important to know whether you have made any modifications in the BIOS settings or if you have attempted to overclock your CPU since you mentioned that F10 has the best idle power which is the BIOS default.

Understanding these details will enable us to provide you with more targeted assistance and ensure your system operates optimally.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Nah, i need to thank you! Gigabyte eSupport needed about 4 weeks to reply 3 times, but it took you less than 5 working days for a better customer service, on top of that, you are not making any excuses or blaming someone with no evidence. 

Anyway, i was monitoring the CPU usage with Task Manager, and found nothing out of norm?
Just to be specific, when changing BIOS, i deleted all saved XTU tuning Profiles, and i also unchecked the 'Restore tune after restart' in XTU, to make sure that XTU is not the cause. 
I also reinstalled Gigabyte control center as well as XTU.
All that, did no change to power draw between BIOS versions, it was either 11W or 15W when idle, depending on version.
Randomly the TDP may drop 1 Watt below the mentioned values. 

BIOS F10: 11w.png

BIOS F11: 
15w.png

As for modifications to BIOS, i can just flash the BIOS, and with no changes at all, i just let the PC boot after BIOS swap, and when the PC is idling, the TDP will be just as in screenshots above, it makes no difference if i enable PerfDrive, Overclocking or anything else.
Enabling OC and disabling all limits makes no difference, limited or unlimited, or default BIOS, TDP will be at some 11W with F10 and 15W with F11.

Thanks for taking your time and actually trying to help solve the issue, wish Gigabyte would do same. Maybe if enough Gigabyte users complain, they will finally resolve that issue on their own. 

0 Kudos