Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

High temperatures on my i7-8750H

Nikoliki12
Beginner

Hello there! I have a problem with the temperatures on my i7-8750H processor. When I play some videogames, the temperatures reach 97ºC at maximum performance. The solution I see is to reduce the maximum state of the processor to 99%, with this I can reduce the temperature to about 70-80ºC, but it reduces to 2.2 GHz, instead of being able to have the 3.2 GHz - 4.2 GHz that the processor could offer me. Is there any way to get a power higher but without increasing the temperature so much?

PS: The laptop is an HP Omen 17 an-113ns.
PS2: A day ago the fans were cleaned and the thermal paste and thermal pads were replaced.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Really, all you can do is purchase a laptop that actually has an adequate cooling solution. We are seeing this kind of crap more and more. This is slimeballs profiting on the ignorance of their customers. It's as bad as those that throttle the processor to make their crappy battery performance look better.
Off my soapbox now,
...S
0 Kudos
Nikoliki12
Beginner

I don't know if I can completely agree with you. Maybe the cooling is not the best, but there must be something wrong with this processor because in the stress tests it reaches 98ºC in less than a second. In any case, there must be some option or setting that can reduce its power at maximum performance and thus its temperature. Any solution?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

All that baloney that they are touting is nothing but. This is them trying to blame you for not providing adequate ventilation; what garbage.

If the cooling solution is inadequate and they use throttling to cover for it, they are robbing you of the processor performance that you paid for. Yes, it is totally true that temperature volatility is increasing every generation. Yes, it is true that temperatures can rise this fast. If the cooling solution doesn't include the mass to absorb this instantaneous heat, you are going to have a problem. Yes, this is a significant problem for laptops, especially those who want to make laptops thinner and lighter while still delivering gaming-level performance. These vendors are smart people; if they spent the money and designed a good cooling solution, that would be great, but the ignorance of most users allow them to get away with NOT solving the problem (or blaming Intel) and pocket this money instead.

...S

0 Kudos
ClariceStarling
Valued Contributor II

People don't research enough before they buy a new computer.   It wouldn't take long to find this comment ...

"I've heard hp omen machines have had overheating problems."

0 Kudos
Nikoliki12
Beginner

I think it isn´t so easy for people who aren´t experts in this. My laptop had an average rating of 9.01 with over 300 reviews on the site where I bought it.

On the other hand, HP says in the forums that it is normal for these processors to reach those temperatures and that the computer is prepared for that

In any case, I don't intend to blame anyone (because no one is going to acknowledge the problem). The only thing I'm looking for is a solution, but nobody is giving me one either (I've already done all that stuff about cleaning the fans, changing the thermal paste, removing programs, etc).

What I need is to reduce the processor's turbo power at maximum performance in order to reduce the temperature. Isn't there such an option?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"My laptop had an average rating of 9.01 with over 300 reviews on the site where I bought it."

There's your problem - you believe the reviews.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Any review that comes out before or this soon after launch are not worth the paper that they are written on. This is what I call "initial quality crap", that same crap the auto industry tries to pull with their "J. D. Powers Initial Quality" awards. Useless and horribly misleading information.

...S

0 Kudos