Processors
Processors (Intel® Core™, Intel® Xeon®, etc); processor utilities and programs (Intel® Processor Identification Utility, Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility, Intel® Easy Streaming Wizard, etc.)
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12777 Discussions

I7 13700kf running hot

Samira0420
Novice

I built a new pc with the mentioned processor a Noctua NH-C14S cooling fan and I can't keep temps from 100c when under load.  I mean its instant 0-100 on core 7 as soon as I start cinebench.  This then triggers throttling.  With my limited knowledge I did set the core voltage offset to -0.175 to try to under volt.  Idle temps with 1-3% utilization are 48-51c, playing cyberpunk 70-95c overtime this will hit 100, Cinebench is 100 immediately .  I have reseated and repasted my cooling solution already.  Do I need a different cooler, is this normal behavior for this chip and I should just ignore it?  I have 2 front 140mm fans  1 rear 140  mm fan  3 120 mm top mounted exhaust fans seems to be decent airflow.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated because being throttled in every task I do sucks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like you to know that Intel cannot rely on third-party benchmarks, if you are not getting issues with Intel tools and no shutdowns and BSOD are happening due to temperatures, this would mean that there are no issues with the CPU.

As mentioned before, the temperatures that you mentioned are fine and under specification. If you want, you can check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if there are any BIOS settings that can improve the system temperatures. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Update your motherboard bios.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

Samira0420
Novice

I did as you suggested and updated the bios, backed it down again 0.175 it bounces from 100 to 99 now but once it hits 100 immediately it throttles for awhile.  I had 5 cores hit 100c the rest were 94-98c. during cinebench  I would say I need to go to a AIO or something but I am reading that people are having the same issue even with big radiators

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-13700KF Processor.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Where are you seeing the temperatures?

2. Can you take a picture of the high temperatures?

3. Can you take a picture of the task manager while the unit is in high temperatures?

4. Have you made any changes to the BIOS or is it on default settings?

5. Does the unit shutdown or get an error after it gets 100c?

6. Is the CPU getting high temperatures only with one game or several? If so, which games also increase the temperatures?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Samira0420
Novice

1. Where are you seeing the temperatures?  I am monitoring temps with HWinfo, core temps, CPUID hardware monitor, and intel extreme tuning utility.  I am monitoring individual core temps, voltage offset, clocks per core and cpu package temps.

2. Can you take a picture of the high temperatures?  See attached

3. Can you take a picture of the task manager while the unit is in high temperatures?  See attached

4. Have you made any changes to the BIOS or is it on default settings? I have turned off multicore enhancement but nothing else is different than stock

5. Does the unit shutdown or get an error after it gets 100c? I have yet to have a shutdown even running the entire cinebench test.  The temps are pegged at 100c for the entire test but no shutdown and I haven't had any errors in windows

6. Is the CPU getting high temperatures only with one game or several? If so, which games also increase the temperatures? After reseating and repasting for the 4th time I achieved temperature stability in cyberpunk and red dead.  They now are 65-72c

I redid my cooler and was able to find relief in games.  Still not better in cinebench.  The temps flip immediately  from idle to 100c, and throttle when starting cinebench.  Thank you for all the help its appreciated

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for the information provided. I would like to investigate this further, please provide the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU):

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Samira0420
Novice

Thank you attached as requested

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I am still investigating your issue, however, in order to proceed I will need to confirm the following:

1. Are you still having the issue after reseating, repasting, and cleaning the system?

2. Are the temperatures showing a 100 from the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU), or is it another app after repasting?

3. Was the cooling solution working before or has the issue started since the first installation?

4. Run and send the report from the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Samira0420
Novice

1. Yes issues still persist.  I am getting 65c - 84c across the cores and a computer package temp of 87c while running cyberpunk.  When I run any benchmark that loads the cores (cinebench, 3dmark suite, AIDA64) I am immediately thermal throttled with temps pegged at 100.  The best I have done was get decent idle temps and ok gaming temps.

2. Yes intel extreme utility shows thermal throttling and package temperature fluctuating between 99c and 100c.  Coretemps, HWmonitor, HWinfo64 all show the same.

3. Initially I had the cooler improperly seated.  I ran this way for about a day no benchmarks or gaming just had the machine up and running along with monitoring programs for stability test.  I then reseated the cooler with new paste and got lower idle temps.  I reseated/paste the cooler again after posting here and was able to achieve 87c in cyberpunk, 60c Modern Warfare II, but 100c in cinebench from the start.

4.  attached

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on your report, everything looks fine and I would like to let you know that the temperatures that you mentioned (65c, 84c,87c) are normal and expected since your processor supports up to 100°C.

However, I will confirm if the temperatures get from the benchmarks are normal under the stress that these tools exert on the processor. I will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello Samira0420, 

Thanks for your patience. I would like you to know that Intel cannot rely on third-party benchmarks, if you are not getting issues with Intel tools and no shutdowns and BSOD are happening due to temperatures, this would mean that there are no issues with the CPU.

As mentioned before, the temperatures that you mentioned are fine and under specification. If you want, you can check with the motherboard manufacturer to confirm if there are any BIOS settings that can improve the system temperatures. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Samira0420
Novice

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.  I can understand the stance not to support 3rd party but it happens with XTU as well.  During stress test its pegged at 100c with thermal throttling and some power throttling thrown in.  During benchmark XTU2 package temp hits 100c and thermal throttles for the entirety of the benchmark.  I have not had shutdowns or bluescreens.  I decided to order a new chip hoping the same results wont present.  Thank you again for the help

MichaelJC
Beginner

May I ask what your primary use case for your system is?

I apologize if you said already and I missed it.

13700KF and a 3070 Ti? Also, Z690 or Z790? And air cooled right?