Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14581 Discussions

I7 14700k Strange - Intel Baseline Profile

Gab4
Beginner
I7 14700k asus b760m, 32gb ddr5. Bios 1656. Intel baseline profile.
No thermal throttle (max 75C, Cinebenge), but clock throttle almost all time (~P/E 5000mhz/4000mhz). Can't understand because in multicore test Vcc is only 1,18V at full load, in idle 1,3V. If I test in single core Vcc is 1,3V (idle and full load too) and no throttle (max clock P, E). Why is clock throttle in multicore test? Icc max 280A and I cant adjust. PL1 253W PL2 360W.
What is the problem?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DimiMit
Novice
Try to change in bios „intel fail save“ and MCE and if this help and system will become stable the. Change the CPU
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

The Intel Baseline Profile (IBP) on Asus B760 motherboards includes a new BIOS item. This is "IA TDC Current Limit" and can be found under Advanced->Ai Tweaker->Internal CPU Power Management->IA TDC Current Limit. The IBP sets this to "Intel's Default". As far as I can tell it does exactly what its name suggests, it's a CPU Current Limiter and is part of a Profile that will ensure stability under extreme gaming load. You can vary this setting if you wish but be aware of why it is there.

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
IA TDC Current dont changable. I cant adjust it.
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

The only adjustment is a choice between  "Intel's Default" and "Auto". The problem with all BIOS Auto settings is that there's normally no indication of what "Auto" is. It might be worth trying "Auto" to see if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
I cant adjust it. It is auto and show 280A.
0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
I dont understund why 280A, the Intel specs is 307A
0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
Also if I load Asus profil, everything is working fine, no throttling but the temp is high (98C) but if disabled CEP, temp is only 85C in full load. In this situation at multicore full load the Vcc 1,35-1,38V at LLC 2. In this case the IA TDC Current ~ 500A, pl1 253W, Pl2 4096W.
So the IBP is better Vcc 1,14-1,2V at full multicore load, but "P" clock throttle all time 5500 》 5000 mhz.
May be the under voltage is the solution with microcode 0x104?
Is it workung with bios 1656?
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

The Intel Baseline Profile (IBP) is there mainly for gamers who find that certain games crash as soon as they start them, or crash during the game. Mostly these games use the Unreal Gaming Engine from Epic Games. The game itself is not crashing, it is a piece of software that is integrated into the Gaming Engine that is exiting with an error code. The piece of software is doing decompression of game assets in particular textures. If you are not experiencing these crashes then there is no reason to use the IBP and you can roll-back to the previous release of the BIOS and use the original settings.

For the B760 boards BIOS 1656 is tagged as a Beta, so there is the option for feedback about it to the Motherboard Support unit at Asus.

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
I did it, wrote to Asus.
Asus said, that there is a problem with the curve surface of the 14th cpu. The heatsink cant install perfectly on the cpu's surface.
So i thinq in my case this isnt problem, because the max. CPU temp is 75C in IBL config. In my opinion the correct IccMax is too low, and I cant adjust it. IccMax is 260A in Bios IBL setrings, but the Intel spec is 307A.

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
May be the next bios handle this.
0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
Waiting new bios...
So, it is working fine with IBL profile except near full load. At full load the Vcc is ok, ~1,18V, CPUtemp is ok 75C, no crashing, but throttle is present ~P/E cores 4900/3800. I dont understand why. May bee the IccMax is to low, but I cant change it from 260A to the correct 307A(intel spec) in bios 1656, asus b760m plus wifi d5.
I thing if I would preset the correct value of the IccMax it will be fine. But who know?

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
I7 14700k Specs; TDP=125W, PL1=PL2=~255W TDP=PL1 ?!
Any idea?
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

Asus leave PL1 and PL2 free for the user to set when the Intel Baseline Profile is implemented.

I have the IBP set on an Asus B760 and I am not seeing any measurable difference in performance in normal usage. Cinebench shows the single core performance as the same with the multi-core slightly down. The issue with Cinebench to me is that it is not a reliable indicator of performance or stability, the multi-core score is just a result of cores and frequencies. The Core i7 14700K is a very powerful processor and I don't see the need to push it outside of the Intel spec. I appreciate that some people don't like the 280A current limit or the reduced all-core turbo speeds but my attitude is try it with your normal apps or games, not benchmarks and see for yourself.

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

Another part of the Intel Baseline Profile (IBP) on Asus boards is that any form of Multi Core Enhancement (MCE) is Disabled by default. The Z690/Z790 boards have a setting for this. Some B660/B760 have a setting called Asus Performance Enhancement - the same thing by another name, some B boards have it but is not accessible via settings. The P/E cores at 4900/3800 it seems to me are a result of MCE being Disabled.

I don't know if the 260A limit you are seeing is also due to MCE being disabled or the IA TDC Current Limit being set to Intel's Default. But I note that you have no crashing so the purpose of the IBP which is stability is working.

0 Kudos
yzonker
Beginner

Were you unstable before without the IBP?  If not, turn it off.  No need to use it unless you are crashing or getting BSOD's.  You might set proper power limits by turning off MCE and enforcing all limits, or just set 253w yourself.

But yes, it's the ridiculously low ICCMAX value (280a) that is probably causing it to throttle so hard.  It's compounded by the crazy high voltage that is set as well by increasing ACLL a lot.   Asus and Gigabyte took this too far most likely.  Knee jerk reaction as these companies are most likely in damage control mode right now.

0 Kudos