Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14608 Discussions

Intel 14900K crashes software constantly, especially with Blender. Help!

BeckyNeedsHelp
Beginner

I recently built a PC that I have been using for digital art (both 2D and 3D) and some gaming. The build is as follows:

• Intel Core i9 - 14900K CPU
  • Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Master Motherboard
  • 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200)
  • GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti WINDFORCE OC 12G Graphics Card
  • SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
  • Additionally, I have a 1000W power supply and liquid cooler.

I was super excited to have a decent PC for my digital art job, but unfortunately I am experiencing software crashes any time I do something that is heavy on the CPU (as measured by the task manager performance window). It used to bluescreen when the software crashed, but after a BIOS update it became more stable. Unfortunately, the software still crashes so frequently that I cannot effectively do my job on this computer. What I have tried:

• Updating BIOS to latest version (stopped the blue screening and reduced crashes, but did not eliminate them)
  • Updating Windows (no discernible difference)
  • Running Memtest86 (passed!)
  • Running Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (passed!)
  • Opening project in older version of Blender (3.6) (didn't make a difference)
  • Opening project on another computer (very laggy, but no software closure)

At this point, I am wondering if I can tune settings in my BIOS to improve stability. Otherwise, this is a very expensive email machine What can I try?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BeckyNeedsHelp
Beginner

Update: In the process of troubleshooting, I see that my RAM may have been the wrong speed. I swapped it out with a set of Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MHz CL40 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory. Unfortunately, there is no discernible difference.

I am noticing that I can load the CPU to 100% by moving part of my armature, turning on particle systems, and etc. After a second or two of this, Blender closes.

0 Kudos