Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual | Mistake SSSE3 support bit.

Sébastien_Moriau

Hello,

I'm reading through the documentation of the instruction CPUID.

I've noticed that to "Check that the processor supports SSSE3" there are two different bits indicated.

• Page 303, 12.7.2 Checking for SSSE3 Support
    specifies CPUID.01H:ECX.SSSE3[bit 9]

• Page 303, 12.8.1 Device Not Available (DNA) Exceptions
    specifies CPUID.01H:ECX.SSSE3[bit 9]

• Page 303, 12.8.1 Device Not Available (DNA) Exceptions
    specifies CPUID.01H:ECX.SSSE3[bit 20]

I can only assume the later is supposed to be the the support of SSE4.2 instead of SSSE3 according to the context of the paragraph.
For visual confirmation check the two pictures attached to this post.

The version of the document is the following: Order Number: 325462-079US, March 2023

Sincerely,

Sébastien Moriau

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Sébastien_Moriau, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. Thank you also for letting us know about this mistake with the bit's documentation.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this topic, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of your Intel® processor?

Could you please provide a link where we can verify the document you are referring to?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Sébastien_Moriau

Hello,

I don't need assistance and therefore do not see the need to share my processor.

I'm simply informing you of a mistake in the documentation, if I'm not wrong.

Here is the link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-sdm.html 

The document is titled: "Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual" as is this post title.

Sincerely,

Sébastien Moriau

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Sébastien_Moriau, Thank you very much for your response.

Thank you also for clarifying those details. For Intel® it is very important all the feedback and comments provided by all of our clients. For that reason, I will send your remarks to the proper department for them to be aware of the mistake and if necessary to correct it accordingly.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos