Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14716 Discussions

Intel Dynamic Tuning question - dptf error id 17

mdg
Beginner

Hello,

I have an MSI laptop, bios and engine management firmware updated; latest dynamic tuning driver provided by MSI. Operating system is Windows 11. Every time the laptop goes through the restart cycle, and only then, I end up with the following error in Event Viewer:

ESIF(8.7.10402.18389) TYPE: ERROR MODULE: ACTION FUNC: EsifActWriteLogHandler FILE: esif_uf_action.c LINE: 789 TIME: 2958121 ms

UPE_HWPF:[HWPF_UpdatePrefetcherState@hwpf_model.c#410]<2958121 ms>: Error: SET_HWPF_CONFIG failed - 0x834

The laptop itself seems to work properly. I am wondering whether I should be concerned about this error. I contacted MSI support but nothing useful has come out from their side yet. 

Is anybody here able to tell me what might be going on inside my laptop?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mdg
Beginner

P.S.

I am wondering if anybody can explain the meaning of the error caused by upe_hwpf.dll, first of all.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @mdg

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand you are getting an error in the event viewer, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Please answer the following:

·      When did it start?

·      Can you share a screenshot of the Event Viewer?

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mdg
Beginner

Hello.

The information requested is attached to this message. I can't say when this problem started. I bought this laptop new only a couple of weeks ago and the error has been there since the first time I checked out the event viewer, which was only a few days later. I updated the bios, the engine management firmware, even upgraded(?) from windows 10 to 11, hoping to chase this error away. But it's still there. On a positive note, the laptop seems to work properly under light use. However, this error is bugging me because I do not know what to expect if the load increases. I am planning to use this laptop for hpc programming.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello mdg

Thank you for the information provided.

We completely understand your concern, please allow us to check the information internally, as soon as we have any update we will let you know.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello mdg

Thank you for patiently waiting.

According to our research, the event seems to be related to Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. So it is highly recommended to check with the system manufacturer if a firmware update is required.

On the other hand, another recommendation is to perform a clean Windows installation to discard any corruption on the system. (for more information please contact Microsoft).

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos