Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14653 Discussions

Intel Microprocessor microcode updates.

Ozzie57
Beginner

Hi folks, as I understand it Intel processor microcode updates are applied either by the bios or the operating system as hot fixes.  Is there no way to permanently update the microcode by a software  tool that can be provided by Intel?  

Kind Regards,

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Short answer: No. There is no permanent store for microcode built into the processor. Updates are lost when power is lost.
...S
Ozzie57
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the reply.  If I remember correctly Intel used to provide a software tool to their IPDs in the old days where you could use the Intel Processor Update Utility to update the microcode to the latest version.  This tool was not available for their consumers.  I really really hate the idea of hotfixes.  It is like buying a car and the engine is missing or not working right and they tell you to get it fixed at the dealer to make it work every day.   There are security concerns about this and there may be security concerns about doing a permanent update also (if this were possible).  I am surprised people did not make a stink about this long ago.  

0 Kudos
cowbat
Novice

The next best thing is to update your motherboard BIOS. The BIOS contains a store of CPU microcode files and will attempt to update the CPU microcode on each boot. Of course, if your motherboard vendor is no longer updating the BIOS, then this is of no use, and you will have to rely upon updating the CPU microcode during OS boot, e.g. using Linux's microcode_ctl tool.

0 Kudos