Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Intel XTU cites Unsupported Platform on system with 6700k

HazardLeader
Novice

The Intel XTU overclock software fails to install citing an "Attempted to install on an unsupported platform" error. This does not make sense. Processor is a i7-6700k, which is listed as supported. Windows 10 version is 21H2, which is listed as supported. 

I have attempted a workaround that allows the software to install, however the software will still not allow me to overlock, indicating that this platform is unsupported? 

This comes after a reinstall of Windows 10, where the XTU software was working on the previous install. No changes to bios settings.

Please advise.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After investigating this further, we would like to inform you that in Intel® XTU 7.7.0 we discontinued support for SKL-S/H (Skylake) per our rolling platform support model as that platform is very old and discontinued.

If you would like to continue to use Intel® XTU, you should go back to using the version you previously had on the system prior to installing the 7.7.0 release (the 7.6.0 version or newer will support SKL-S/H).

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
HazardLeader
Novice

I neglected to mention that the XTU version I'm attempting to install is the latest one (7.7.0.12).

0 Kudos
MorningMahogany
Beginner

I am experiencing the same issue.  I am also on the latest version of Intel XTU (7.7.0.12).

I have an Intel 6700k installed a Gigabyte GA-Z710X Gaming 7 MB, running Windows 10 version 21H2.  I did the workaround that allowed Intel XTU to install on an "unsupported platform", but am still unable to overclock the CPU via Intel XTU.

I am able to overclock manually in the BIOS, but I feel like the intent of Intel XTU is such that I don't need to overclock that way.  I would love to see a solution to this!  Inside the XTU software I can see that my 6700k is detected so I am not sure what's causing the "unsupported platform" behavior.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @HazardLeader

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Just to make sure we understand correctly the current behavior:

• First, you were unable to install Intel® XTU, but know you managed to install it and the only remaining issue is that you are unable to use the overclocking settings. Is this correct? If it is, please provide screenshots of the status of the settings/options and of the error message:
  • Or are you still having issues installing Intel® XTU?
  • Please provide details regarding the workaround that you attempted:

2- Was the "reinstall of Windows" a full clean install from scratch? For instance, did you delete all the files or wipe out the OS partition before reinstalling Windows? Or did you select another reinstallation option (e.g.: selecting the option "to keep files", etc.)?

3- Are you running the BIOS settings on defaults?

4- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
HazardLeader
Novice

Hi there @AndrewG_Intel ,

1. That is correct. All install attempts of XTU without the workaround fail. Attached is the XTU log from my last attempted install. 

This is the workaround I used: https://kallelilja.com/2018/12/workaround-xtu-attempted-to-install-on-an-unsupported-platform/ 
In summary, it disables the platform check when the installer is running. There are no error messages when the software is running. The "advanced tuning" tab, when selected, merely shows a blank page.  The system information tab includes text that is similar to the install error: platform unsupported.  I have since uninstalled the software.

All attempts to reinstall XTU after this point have failed.

2. This indeed was full clean install. The boot drive was wiped, and I installed from a fresh install file. I have been in the process of installing all my software, and files manually.

3. The BIOS settings are not defaulted. The BIOS settings I used from my previous system, where XTU worked, are still in effect. The current, non default parameters are: XHCI handoff is disabled. Internal graphics is set to "auto." Integrated graphics share memory is set to 64M. Windows 8.1/10 WHQL support is enabled. Windows 7 installation option is disabled. Boot mode is set to Legacy + UEFI. IGD Multi-monitor is disabled. The XMP profile is enabled for maximum RAM performance.

4. The SSU file is attached.

5. It's worth mentioning that since my initial post, my system has been incredibly unstable (as the SSU log will no doubt show.) I have a feeling that this system instability, and XTU's install problems are linked, though I don't know for sure and would still like to pursue troubleshooting the XTU software itself.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After investigating this further, we would like to inform you that in Intel® XTU 7.7.0 we discontinued support for SKL-S/H (Skylake) per our rolling platform support model as that platform is very old and discontinued.

If you would like to continue to use Intel® XTU, you should go back to using the version you previously had on the system prior to installing the 7.7.0 release (the 7.6.0 version or newer will support SKL-S/H).

For any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
HazardLeader
Novice

I have now reviewed your previous post. Thank you for checking and responding. I would ask that someone update the XTU page where it lists the 6700k as compatible with the current software, so that anyone else still overclocking 6700k's will know they need to download the older version of XTU. Thanks again for checking into this.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello HazardLeader

You are very welcome and thank you for your response.

Also, we would like to inform you that we have sent your feedback to the proper team ("update the XTU page where it lists the 6700k as compatible with the current software so that anyone else still overclocking 6700k's will know they need to download the older version of XTU").

We will proceed to close this thread now. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos