Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14567 Discussions

MULTI-THREADING I9 14900K CPU's THROTTLE BACK WHEN JOB 80% COMPLETE

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm running a PC with Windows 11 and a I9 14900K processor.

I'm running a multi-threaded application and use 30 out of the 32 possible threads.

The software creates 30 individual batch jobs

During the run, the p-cores run at 5+Ghz and the e-cores run at 4+Ghz.

After 14 hours the p-core finished processing and their activity dropped to zero and the e-cores continued to run at 100%.

After a few minutes of down time the system appeared to redistribute the remaining 15% of the workload throughout all the core once again. However, the CPU's did not resume their peak performance speed. Instead, all the CPU's dropped down into the 2Ghz or less range. As each batch job completed, the problem got slower. This resulted in 5 additional hours of run time for just a fraction of the overall dataset. 

I was expecting that the computer would continue to process each batch job at top performance instead of spreading it out all over the place, slowing down the processing speed and taking more than twice the amount of time to finish.

The first snapshot is the performance of the computer when all the batch jobs are running. All the CPU's are maxed out. The second is what I captured shortly after redistribution, I only caught the usage and not the speed. The usage is at 97% for all CPU's at the beginning and ultimately drops down and below 50% as the remaining data  is processed.

How do I configure the machine to run a multi-threaded job at high processing speed from beginning to end?

Thanks, Paul

PAUL1919_0-1703887511545.png

PAUL1919_1-1703888039419.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Anonymous,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9 processor 14900K.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Do you want this specific software to run a multi-threaded job at high processing speed from beginning to end?

2. Do you want any app/tool to run a multi-threaded job at high processing speed from beginning to end?

3. Have you experienced any errors/crashes/BSOD or performance issues with other tools/apps?

4. What is the name of the software you are using?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Anonymous, 

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Anonymous, 

I was checking your thread and noticed that I have not heard back from you. I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos