Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14556 Discussions

My device manager tells me my SM Bus controller driver is misisng, but I need a driver for the Z7 8

chopperaddict
Beginner

I downloaded the "normal" installer, but it =tells me my system is not supported by that installer because it has a Z87 chipset.

Does anyone know how I can get the correct driver/installer ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to download this package from the Asus site: Intel Chipset V10.1.1.7 for Win10 32bit&64bit (this is a direct download link). 

I suggest that you try installing it as follows:

1. Download and extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
  2. Open a Command window and make the current directory this temporary folder.
  3. Execute command "SetupChipset.exe -overall"

What this "-overall" parameter will do is ensure that all of the 'devices' in the chipset are updated, even if possible updated earlier by Windows Update.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to install the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) package provided by your motherboard manufacturer. Check their download page for this package.

...S

0 Kudos
chopperaddict
Beginner

THasnks foi rthat, but sadly I did try that, but wehen it ran, it told me  it was not compatible with my PC (Asus Maximus VI Formula motherboard) and  ther were no other options available on the Intel site, so I am still stuck basically.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to download this package from the Asus site: Intel Chipset V10.1.1.7 for Win10 32bit&64bit (this is a direct download link). 

I suggest that you try installing it as follows:

1. Download and extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
  2. Open a Command window and make the current directory this temporary folder.
  3. Execute command "SetupChipset.exe -overall"

What this "-overall" parameter will do is ensure that all of the 'devices' in the chipset are updated, even if possible updated earlier by Windows Update.

Hope this helps,

...S

chopperaddict
Beginner

Wow, how right you are, it worked.............

Thank you SO VERY MUCH, I tried everything, witout success, but this ran  like a dream, despite the rather worrying lengthyish black screens that occured as it progressed that made my heart flutter somewhat !

I can now move forward, so will be eternally grateful to you for this help, thanks again.

Ian

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're welcome.

...S

0 Kudos