Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14574 Discussions

My i9 10900K not using all cores and thread i have 10 core 20thread but it's showing only 9core

HarshGaming
Novice

My i9 10900K not using all cores and thread i have 10 core 20thread but it's showing only 9core and 18 thread in task manager and even in system information how to enable all cores please someone help like want 10 cores and 20 thread to dislpay in task manager and my clock speed can go up to 5.30Ghz but it's not going more than 5 i dont know why i dont have that much knowledge of bios setting if someone can help it will be grateful 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

Hello HarshGaming

hmmm, seems you're encountering a couple of issues with your i9 10900K CPU. Firstly, not all cores and threads are being displayed or utilized, and secondly, the clock speed is not reaching the maximum advertised speed of 5.30GHz. Here's how you can fix these issues:

1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS setup. Look for settings related to CPU configuration and ensure that all cores are enabled. Sometimes, there might be an option like "CPU Core Control" or "Active Processor Cores" which should be set to "All".
2. In Windows, press Win + R, type msconfig, and hit Enter. Go to the 'Boot' tab, click on 'Advanced options', and ensure that the 'Number of processors' option is unchecked, which allows Windows to use all available cores.
3. Motherboard manufacturers often release updates that can improve compatibility and performance.
4. The 5.30GHz speed is part of Intel's TVB, which only kicks in under specific thermal conditions.
5. Check your power settings in Windows under 'Control Panel' > 'Hardware and Sound' > 'Power Options'. Set it to 'High Performance' to allow your CPU to reach higher clock speeds.
6. If you're comfortable with overclocking, you can use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) or go into your BIOS to manually set the clock speeds, though this should be done cautiously to avoid overheating or damaging your CPU. 

But reaching the maximum turbo frequency depends on several factors including power, temperature, and the workload being executed. If you're not familiar with BIOS settings, it might be helpful to consult the motherboard's manual.

Regards,

Harry

0 Kudos
HarshGaming
Novice
okay thank you so much bro but i am not familiar with the bios setting and one more thing my cpu is hitting 85-90degree in idle any solution and how can i consult motherboard manual like when my cpu is using 20-30% cpu usage my clock speed is not going above 3.0Ghz i don’t why and whenever it’s idle it’s going 4Ghz max can you please help
0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, HarshGaming.
Thank you for posting in our Community.

I understand that you're experiencing some limitations with your i9-10900K processor in terms of core and thread usage, as well as clock speed. 

One possible explanation for fewer logical or physical cores being displayed in Task Manager could be due to Windows settings. The number of cores might have been altered within Windows itself. I recommend referring to the article, Why Does my System Have Fewer or Missing Cores? which provides steps to address this issue and ensure the correct number of cores is displayed.

Additionally, you can visit the link How to Check Number of Cores and Threads in My Processor? to explore various methods for verifying the number of cores and threads in your processor after following the steps outlined in the aforementioned article.

Best regards,
Von M.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos