Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14561 Discussions

New processor failing XTU stress test

M3oedy
Beginner

When stress testing my 13900k with the Intel XTU AVX stress test, I get blue screen crashes within a few seconds. The first time I got a blue screen with failure code IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the second time I got a different failure code IR, namely PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGE_AREA. No throttling was reported and the max package temperature that I reported was 81.

AVX2 stress test passed a short 1 minute test. 

Memory stress test thermal throttled several times and then gave a blue screen crash with an error code related to memory.

I also get hardware failures detected using a 3rd party FPU or cache stress tests from AIDA64. When testing FPU, the reported CPU temperatures were very hot (I believe within 5 degrees TjMax of 100). 

I'm using a custom cooling loop with EKWB Quantum velocity 2 block in. Everything seems to be installed per instructions and coolant flow appears vigorous based on visual examination of the reservoir.

Any ideas what the problem might be, how to diagnose it, or how to address it?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello M3oedy,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor, I will be glad to help.

• Could you please confirm the OS is updated to the latest version?
  • Could you please provide the make and model of your RAM module?

As well, please perform the following steps:

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
M3oedy
Beginner

Thank you for the previous response. I saw your recommendations but have not rerun the tests.  My BIOS and OS (Win11) are up to date.  I have a 32GB (2x16) Trident Neo 7800 (F5-7800J3646H16GX2-TZ5RK). The situation got more complicated because my ASUS BIOS defaulted to enable Multicore Enhancement (MCE). I believe this disables Intel's limits for overclocking purposes. I did not actually overclock, but MCE was enabled when I first ran the tests. I have since disabled MCE and the processor is passing all tests. I wasn't in a hurry to re-enable them to avoid causing any damage. Can you tell me whether it is normal behavior for the CPU to fail tests with MCE enabled and whether re-running the tests poses any significant risks? 

0 Kudos
M3oedy
Beginner

I have now run the IPDT with MCE disabled. All tests pass again showing the everything seems stable when MCE is disabled. One more thing. Here is the SSU report if that is still helpful. 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the information provided.

According to the SSU report you have provided, there is a BIOS version update pending, as the latest shown in Asus page is version 0904 (https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios/). Please update to this version as it may include performance improvements.

As well, having MCE enabled have shown in previous scenarios to rise the CPU temperatures, however, since that is a BIOS setting, we recommend consulting this information with Asus support as we do not have the technical information to determine if it will have any effect when running the tests.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you were you able to check the previous post.

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos