Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14655 Discussions

POWER LIMIT THROTTLING AND Current/EDP limit Throttling

SAIF99
Novice

I getting POWER LIMIT THROTTLING AND Current/EDP limit Throttling in the stress test intel Extreme Tuning Utility app. can help me please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

Tests show a reduction in power consumption under gaming load with an RTX 4090 of around 50 to 60 watts using the Intel Default Profile. This results is a lower CPU temperature and less stress on both the processor and others parts including the motherboard and power supply. So yes it is safe in the long term.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

I have no connection with Intel other than owning Intel hardware.

The Power Limit Throttling is probably due to the Long Duration Package Power Limit setting in the BIOS, typically this is set to AUTO. If you go to Advanced->Ai Tweaker->Internal CPU Power Management->Long Duration Package Power Limit in the BIOS it will show the setting. If it is AUTO then underneath will be the text "Current Long Duration Package Power Limit" and a number in watts. The Intel default is 125 watt, Asus tend to set 135 watt. If it is either of these numbers you can clear the Power Limit Throttling message by setting a higher value, 181 should do it. Bear in mind the earlier comment about the Intel default.

The Current/EDP Limit Throttling is associated with the latest 2202 BIOS for Z790 boards and the use of the Intel Default Profile (IDP). Essentially you can ignore this message. It arises from Asus implementing Multi-Core Enhancement with a default setting of ENABLED. This set the CPU/Cache Current Limit Max BIOS setting to 511.75 A(Amps). If you check this setting it will be set to AUTO and will show a value that should be well below 500+ A, something below 400 A would be typical This is because as part of the IDP Multi-Core Enhancement is set to DISABLED by default and the Intel Current Limit settings are enforced. The XTU stress tester seem to be doing no more than detecting that a current limit is operating.

SAIF99
Novice
I just still getting POWER LIMIT THROTTLING AND Current/EDP limit Throttling in benchmark test with these sitting.

the asus multicore enhancement is disabled- enforce all limits
And i turned on the intel baseline profile
Is any of that the reason?
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

The Power Limit Throttling warning can be cleared by setting the Long Duration Package Power Limit and Short Duration Package Power Limit settings in the BIOS to higher numbers. Try 253 for each.

The Intel Baseline Profile as implemented by ASUS is the reason for the Current/EDP Limit Throttling message. Since the IBP is doing exactly what it sets out to do - to limit current - the BIOS is working as designed. As long as the XTU Stress Test is reporting a Pass it should not be a matter of concern.

SAIF99
Novice
so is it safe in the long term for all parts of the device and processor ?
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

Tests show a reduction in power consumption under gaming load with an RTX 4090 of around 50 to 60 watts using the Intel Default Profile. This results is a lower CPU temperature and less stress on both the processor and others parts including the motherboard and power supply. So yes it is safe in the long term.