Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14655 Discussions

Pentium Silver N5000 accepts 16GB of RAM??

ProDigit
Beginner

From the specs, the N5000 should accept about 8GB of RAM max.
I purchased 16GB and it works fine. Windows recognizes the extra 8GB.

It's a single module.
I never see RAM usage above 7GB though.

I was wondering if the 16GB is fully compatible, or if there are possible issues with running more ram than the specs say they can support?

On a side note, I've seen other laptops for sale by HP that are equipped with 16GB modules.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayB_Intel

Hello ProDigit,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please be advised that the Maximum Supported Memory Size for the Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000 Processor is 8 GB only. Windows OS can acknowledge the 16 GBx1 but your system can only utilize 8 GB as per your processor. Since the Pentium® Silver N5000 is designed for mobile/laptop devices, we do recommend to coordinate with your laptop manufacturer for further assistance as they may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to some components for better compatibility with your system.

Best regards,

Jay B.

0 Kudos
tcsenter89
Beginner

@JayB_Intel wrote:

Please be advised that the Maximum Supported Memory Size for the Intel® Pentium® Silver N5000 Processor is 8 GB only. Windows OS can acknowledge the 16 GBx1 but your system can only utilize 8 GB as per your processor. Since the Pentium®

This is just incorrect. I recently acquired a Dell Inspiron 3582 with Pentium Silver N5000 specifically to test this very claim, after a user reported on Reddit that he is successfully running 16GB SODIMM in an Inspiron 15 3573 notebook, all memory addressable/useable (minus the small amount for hardware reserved that every system has). I couldn't find a price on the 3573 that I wanted to pay, so I acquired a highly similar (if not shared design) Inspiron 3582 along with two JEDEC standard 16GB (2Rx8) SODIMM modules; one DDR4-2400T and DDR4-2666V (covering my bases).

In short, the doggone thing works:

msinfo32 (System Information)msinfo32 (System Information)

System PropertiesSystem Properties

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree that what @JayB_Intel has stated is indeed incorrect, but you need to understand that, because Intel has stated that the maximum supported is 8GB, this means that Intel has not validated - nor do they warranty - that more than 8GB will work. It might work or it might not - and, if it does, there is no guarantee that it will continue to work.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
tcsenter89
Beginner

@n_scott_pearson wrote:

I agree that what @JayB_Intel has stated is indeed incorrect, but you need to understand that, because Intel has stated that the maximum supported is 8GB, this means that Intel has not validated - nor do they warranty - that more than 8GB will work. It might work or it might not - and, if it does, there is no guarantee that it will continue to work.

Intel does not "support" nor "warranty" any products other than Intel branded/marketed, without a business relationship with the customer e.g. OEM, reseller, integrator, etc. The entire line of Goldmont, Goldmont+, e.g. N5000 and it's N5030 'refresh' replacement were never marketed or sold to the public and are all discontinued, anyway. Even if it had officially supported 16GB, the OEM/IHV who used it in their product would be responsible to "support" or "warranty" their product, not Intel.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, you are correct. In this case, it is the Integrator that would have a warranty from Intel. The End User only has a warranty from the Integrator.

...S

0 Kudos