Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14565 Discussions

Regarding Reports of 13th/14th Gen Unlocked Desktop Users Experiencing Stability Issues

Thomas_Hannaford
Employee

Intel is aware of reports regarding Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen unlocked desktop processors experiencing issues with certain workloads. We’re engaged with our partners and are conducting analysis of the reported issues.

If you are experiencing these issues, please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance in the interim.

116 Replies
VChan37
Beginner

i7 13700k + Asus RTX 3080 TUF

Random stuttering on Dota, CS2, Tekken and other daily apps (such as Chrome, discord, etc)

0 Kudos
VChan37
Beginner

Motherboard Asrock B760 ProRS D5

0 Kudos
Dread
Beginner

Got an issue in which FFmpeg in my computer crashes randomly after a while of being executed (can happen even at start of an encoding session). My cpu is the 13900K with an Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero.

I have all the safelocks enabled in the motherboard and I have disabled asus auto optimizer in favor of having intel safelocks enabled.

0 Kudos
zageko
Beginner

Hello,

I am facing the same problems, random game crashing (CS2, Dota2, Escape from Tarkov, PUBG, RF4, Diablo3, Diablo4 ...).

After the game is crashing i am trying to reopen the game and in 90% of cases i am getting blue screens.

My configuration is:

- win 11 pro x64 23H2

- Intel core i9-13900ks 

- mb: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER

- Gigabyte RTX 2080 Aorus Xtreme

Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE LCD XT

G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB XMP 3.0 Silver 32GB, DDR5-7800Mhz

Seasonic Prime TX-1300 ATX 3.0

I am using default settings, no xmp no overclock or undervolting.

How can i solve the problems, or what is the next step?

Is this a issue that can be solved through an software update, like a bios, or is a hardware problem?

0 Kudos
Muss
Novice

I have just this week built a new PC with a 14900KF and an MSI z790 Gaming Plus motherboard. I have not yet experienced any issues but with the amount of reddit and news posts I am seeing about this, I am now really worried. It seems a lot of people have no issues for a few months then cook their cpu.
I havent changed any bios settings from their default at the moment but want to know if i should pre-empt this by setting PL1 and PL2 limit and amp limit. But on the flip side as my system is currently fine i dont want to cause issues by fiddling. Help Intel please, i need to know what to do now to prevent my cpu dieing in a few months time!

0 Kudos
Thrasherop
Novice

I would recommend limiting PL1 and PL2 for now. Its not clear what is happening to us consumers, but that does seem like limiting power draw could help. Since this is such an expensive chip, and these issues are quite annoying, I would personally recommend restricting your PL1 and PL2 to 253w. 

odzx
Beginner

hi my specs:

i9-14900kf

asus z790-h

ram predator vesta 2 32gb 6600mhz

crash...crash....bsod....bsod...bsod....................

0 Kudos
Thrasherop
Novice

I'm noticing a lot of people here (including myself) are using the same AIO (Corsair H150i). I don't see why that would cause this issue, but it does seem to be a common component with these issues. With that said, I am in contact with someone else having these issues and they have a Kracken 360mm AIO. Perhaps the H150i is just a popular AIO. I still want to point this out as a potential common denominator.

0 Kudos
ChromeJunkie
Novice

It's not the AIO cooler, it's Windows interfering with the graphic drivers...

0 Kudos
rjtylernothappy
Beginner

Good luck getting Windows to accept this.

I have been arguing with them for months on it and they accused the GPU of being faulty. Yet my PC can play Starfield, BG3 and other modern AAA with no issues (including Cyberpunk). However it can't play Minecraft or SWTOR which are both OLD games.

0 Kudos
Edison0507
Beginner

I have the issue. Sometimes bsod because of the vram.

My spec: 14700k

msi z790-pro max wifi

4070ti super

I have tried many ways. Undervolt is the solution. However, bsod and game crush still occur randomly.

0 Kudos
Thrasherop
Novice

FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A TEMPORARY FIX:

There are two temporary solutions that work for me (14900k):

1: Limit all of your P-Core clocks to 5.5Ghz. This can be done either with XTU, or in the BIOS directly.

OR

2: you can disable Hyperthreading in the BIOS. 

You should only need to do one of these. I would recommend doing #1. This is because disabling hyperthreading makes a bigger effect on performance than reducing P-Core clocks all the way down to 5.5Ghz. In my experience, #2 is 10-20% slower than #1.

Additionally:

Lowering your PL1 and PL2 to the stock 253w seems to help as well. Again, this can be done with XTU or in the BIOS.

Hopefully this helps!

Ampersanders
Beginner

I just did this myself and seems to maybe have worked. Fortnite is the only game to cause this to occur (maybe other unreal games as well too?) but find it weird cause I can run 2 instances of fallout 76 and have 0 issues at all, RDR2 runs like a pro as well.

Do notice the spikes in the CPU when loading causes the "out of memory" issue that pops up with FN active. Running 32gb of ram and a 4070ti so I know it can't be a graphics issue. So it has to be the CPU.

0 Kudos
ChromeJunkie
Novice

It's a software, widespread problem, due to Windows updates messing up with the Nvidia drivers.

0 Kudos
seanc90
Beginner

Hi Everyone

The entire time I thought it was my Nvidia 4090 dying on me. After months of instability and torture, turns out it's my Intel CPU.

I found this workaround which worked really well for me (14900KF). 

https://www.radgametools.com/oodleintel.htm 

I did the following through Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility (as instructed in the link above).

• Turn down the maximum P core multiplier from 55X to 53X or 54X. (for example)
  • Turn down maximum turbo boost clock rate
  • Turn off or turn down "thermal velocity boost"

I also did an additional step to reduce the power max not to exceed Intel's CPU specs (e.g. 254W for 14900KF).

This workaround feels like I'm underutilising the maximum potential of my CPU so hopefully this is just a temporary fix. 

Appreciate if Intel can give us a more permanent fix asap!

I'm getting anxious with all the crashes. Hopefully this helps. 

0 Kudos
lor_the_fallen_angel

Hi all. Sorry for my English! 

I'm the only one, who having the exactly same problems, but have a way older CPU? Like I9 10900X in an Asus WS X299 Sage, 32gigs of RAM (4x8; two 16 gig pair), and an Asus TUF 4070 Ti Super? The os is Win11 home, 23h2 Hungarian. I don't think it's a hardware/ "Intel" problem. It's a driver, or moreover a windows problem. ITHINK. It is an intermediate setup, which I currently upgrading, starting with the vga. The previous videocard (an Asus 2080Ti) just worked fine. After changed the card, I started experiencing the issues with UE engine crashes and shader translation/optimization. Reinstalled and even changed the os from win10 to win11 does not changed anything. Or maybe it's a little worse. I hate win 11.

0 Kudos
zageko
Beginner

Hi,

Is this a issue that can be solved through an software update, like a bios, or is a hardware problem?

ChromeJunkie
Novice

I could be wrong but seems like there's a slight hardware angle and a larger software angle.

If you're running a "default" Motherboard BIOS OC, you should probably look into it and adjust/stabilize the CPU, unless you're intentionally Overclocking your system and it's stable, obviously.

But there's more to this widespread BSOD crashing issue than just unstable 13th and 14th gen chips and the MBs abusive OCs. There's a Windows configuration/update angle and discrepancies with the Nvidia drivers, most likely.

pressed_for_time

I note that NVIDIA is referring users to this forum "...If your system is using an Intel 13th/14th Gen unlocked desktop CPU and is experiencing stability issues/out of video memory error messages/crash to desktop while the game is compiling shaders..."

There's a long list of problems associated with the latest game ready driver 552.12 on the NVIDIA users forums and it is by no means restricted  to Intel 13th/14th Gen systems.

In some cases people have rolled back to previous driver releases and the problems have disappeared. It may be that Windows is also a factor but some sources claim that driver 552.12 is pushing the CPU a lot harder. There does seem to be a pattern that many of the graphics cards associated with crashing are high end ones such as the 3080 Ti, 4080 Super and the 4090. So are the crashing issues and other problems in part because NVIDIA is pushing both CPUs and graphics cards too hard. I appreciate that NVIDIA may be attempting to extract the maximum performance for competitive reasons but is this being done at the expense of stability. TL;DR NVIDIA needs to sort its drivers out.

ChromeJunkie
Novice

@pressed_for_time 

I concur, Nvidia drivers are affecting diverse systems, not just the intel ones. Nvidia swears their drivers are "clean", which if true, implies that Windows is playing a significant role in the problem, specifically because once the BSODs start haunting your system, for many users, even going back to older drivers doesn't really solve the problem.

In my particular experience, for over a year, I was running my high-end system with every graphics setting to the max for Call of Duty games, as well as Cyberpunk 2077 at Psycho + Overdrive Ray Tracing and it ran SUPERFLY. Temps in the 50°C to 65°C under heavy graphics, CPU even lower temps, obviously.

I was running the Nvidia driver 551.52 at the time, then in a February weekend, both Windows and Nvidia dropped updates and drivers.  Updated and immediately after the BSOD problem began haunting me to this day and the newer drivers are worse, really.

I've tested the hardware and it's fine but then I went to the reddit, Nvidia, Windows and now Intel forums looking for an answer and although the solution isn't here yet, I noticed that MANY people were having the same problem, indifferent of which systems they run.

Alright, not EVERYONE has problems with the recent drivers but more people do by the day.

-Windows 11 Pro 23H2

-ROG Maximus Z690 Hero

-Intel i9 13900K

-RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO

-G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 6000MT/s (with XMP)

-Asus ROG THOR 1200W Platinum II