Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14581 Discussions

Stability issues with i9-13900KF

Maywtf
Novice

Hello,

I am struggling with system stability for a while now. I am receiving frequent errors in games and design software. Sometimes they crash on launch, sometimes on performing a specific action. I have found more people with the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/1axepvu/optimizing_stability_for_intel_13900k_and_14900k/
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/16vp5kn/i913900k_instability_crashes_and_svid_behavior/
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/y94pe1/system_unstable_after_upgrading_to_13900k/

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Consistent-Instability-with-i9-13900kf/m-p/1547210#M67142
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Degrading-stability-14900K/m-p/1589313#M71328

I have tried to apply some of the suggested options in Bios:

- OS reinstall

- updated drivers

- trying software on different dx versions

- disabled hyper-threading

- changed power limits according to specs (not MB defaults)

I am not interested in overclocking. The reason I bought the unlocked version was because it was cheaper at the time. I always run my systems at stock value, and never expect any exceptional performance above what's advertised - I value reliable and stable system over performance.

System:

Windows 11
i9-13900KF
MSI MPG Z690 Force WIFI (MS-7D30)
RTX3080

Please advise. Let me know if you need any more information.

7 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Maywtf,

Thank you for posting in the communities and for sharing the steps you have taken. Before we proceed with other troubleshooting steps, please share with us your SSU logs so we can be more familiar with your system configuration and check for possible errors. By the way, may I please know as well the RAM configuration and model of your system? I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M.
Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maywtf
Novice

Hello,

Please find the SSU logs in the attachements.

My RAM configuration is 2x16GB Kingston Fury 6000MhZ CL40.

Kind regards

Paweł

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Maywtf,

Thank you for sharing with us the logs and your RAM Model. Upon checking it, kindly please try the following steps for now to make sure your system is in optimal configuration: 

If the issue is still persisting, please share the following details:

• Please list out the games and software experiencing the stability issues, this will allow us to identify if there are known issues.
  • Please let us know of the Power Scheme that you are using on your system. 
  • Please also share the error messages that you are receiving in your system

I will be waiting for your reply.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Maywtf
Novice

Hello,

Done! I tried updating everything in the past and did not help. I will observe the system and note down the errors, but my expectation is that it will probably not help.

If the issue is still persisting, please share the following details:
  • Please list out the games and software experiencing the stability issues, this will allow us to identify if there are known issues.
  • Please let us know of the Power Scheme that you are using on your system. 
  • Please also share the error messages that you are receiving in your system

• Very frequently games made in Unreal Engine, Path of Exile, Escape from Tarkov, Age of Wonders, Last Epoch, there's a bunch I don't remember anymore. There's also a lot of issues with running on DX12. I have issues Slicing 3D models for printing in Prusa Slicer. Have a look at the topic I raised on their GitHub: https://github.com/prusa3d/PrusaSlicer/issues/11845
  • Power Scheme set on "Best performance"
  • They usually just straight up crash to desktop without any messages, some faulting modules from EventViewer:
    • msmpeg2vdec.dll
    • nvwgf2umx.dll
    • nvgpucomp64.dll
    • PathOfExileSteam.exe
    • nvoglv64.dll
    • KERNELBASE.dll
    • UnityPlayer.dll
    • fmodstudio.dll
  • When shutting down my system, I sometimes get “Instruction at 0x000… Referenced Memory at 0x000000000000. Memory Cannot Be Read”
  • Manually setting the CPU power limits in BIOS improved the situation a bit, but I still experience these issues daily.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Maywtf, 

Thank you for letting us know about this information. No worries, for now, kindly please monitor the system if the same issue still persists let me know in this post so we can proceed with further troubleshooting. Thank you!

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Maywtf
Novice

The same issue still persists. In the meantime I have reached out to Intel Support and submitted a case.

I was given advice to check system stability through Intel XTU benchmarks. The AVX2 benchmark causes my PC to bluescreen. Sometimes even launching the Intel XTU tool crashes. I am attaching screenshots to this reply.

I was also given this advice:

Also, Please try troubleshooting MSI motherboard troubleshooting

Solution A):

In BIOS, select "OC", select "CPU Core Voltage Mode", select "Offset Mode", select "+(By PWM)", adjust the voltage until the system is stable, recommend not to exceed 0.025V for a single increase. 

Solution B):

In BIOS, select "OC", select "DigitALL Power", change "CPU Loadline Calibration Control", recommend starting from "Mode 7" to a lower value until system is stable.

After implemented A or B, run XTU test again and if the AVX2 test can pass.

Run and see if the issue happens again.

This is all cool, but the truth is I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not an expert in CPUs and I don't want to become one. I would like that the premium, expensive product I have purchased works reliably without me having to do experiments on it. I have asked for a replacement. 

For anyone looking at this topic - this is probably not a good idea to try this yourself. Reach out to Intel support first and wait for their advice, otherwise your actions might void your warranty.

I will update this topic once I have something to update.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Maywtf, 

Thank you for updating us. I have some new information regarding your concern. Please review the details sent to your email. Thank you!

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos