Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14567 Discussions

Upgrade CPU T5470

MPtraxx
Beginner

Hi,

I have an old laptop i just renovating this laptop as my backup laptop. So i want upgrade HDD will be replaced with SSD (added 2 GB RAM - total 4 GB) and also i just thinking about CPU upgrade.

What do you think? I have T5470 (PPGA478 socket) i wanted replace this for best cpu in this case (product family or whatever simply much better than i have). I look for QX9300 which is also core 2 family but quad also PGA478 and not PPGA478). So i read something that it will fit into socket but it wont work hmm. Can you confirm that?

If QX9300 wont work then i should take X7900 (2 cores) or T9900 (2 cores with 3 GHz). Or which cpu is best in this case?

So i looking for maybe high end CPU for my laptop.

Primary i have desktop with i7 8700K this notebook is as backup or weekly use.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

For an upgrade processor, the motherboard/system bios must support it.  Check with the motherboard/system manufacturer for which processors their bios supports.

Socket compatibility is NOT enough.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
MPtraxx
Beginner

I dont know all what i know is that i have acer colombia BIOS (Phoenix Technologies LTD v. 1.35) in system info.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Who made the laptop?  That is who you check with.

0 Kudos
MPtraxx
Beginner

Acer Extensa 5620 model. But on acer webpage i tried here download drivers or manuals and when i fill SNID or Serial page giving me error (could not find). So serial does not exists now. But i am sure in past worked SNID.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Listen closely:  ASK ACER what processors are SUPPORTED BY THEIR BIOS.

0 Kudos
MPtraxx
Beginner

Listen you also acer dont recognize my notebook via my Serial number or manufactured number... I doubt that acer will know which CPUs are compatible with my board. But okay i thought that it depends on socket as always... I read on net some people upgraded their T5470 to T8300 or T9300 but HP brand of notebook for example...

I will ask acer „experts”

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

There is no way anyone here can tell you what the  acer bios supports.

If you want to play with "renovating" such old devices, you need to experience the pain of doing so yourself.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This link tells you nothing.

You need to get information on what processors are supported by the acer bios.

0 Kudos
MPtraxx
Beginner
Hmm acer have same bios or not? I mean phoenix technologies bios. And also i have in user guide listed these CPU so i think it should be works but i dont have list of supported CPU from acer they dont know. I asked it.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is an acer bios. 

If you use a processor that is not supported by the bios, it may work, it may not work, or it may work with errors.

And, you also need to consider that the laptop was not necessarily designed to support higher wattage processors.

0 Kudos
MPtraxx
Beginner

Yeah i understand... I hope that every acer extensa 5620 use same BIOS... 

0 Kudos