Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14823 Discussions

Why 14600K is not for competitive gaming?

bbainfo
Novice

bbainfo_0-1715473702166.png

Take a look at the image (took from Gaming Desktop PCs with Intel® Technology).

Why 14600K is not recommended for competitive gaming?

I play Call of Duty MW3 (2023) using a i5 12600K CPU, Z790 MB from Gigabyte and a 4070 TI VGA.

I am able to get 150 FPS using balanced graphical settings in 1440p resolution with 165hz Dell monitor.

Is there any gain in latency or something else, that worth replacing my CPU by i7 14700K?

To be honest, my experience with MW3 despite the high FPS is not good.

I am not sure if it is the game or the servers, but my multiplayer experience is very inconsistent. On many matches enemies see me first and it is not my internet.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
NormanS_Intel

Hello bbainfo,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the information we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Also, I want to inform you that, the Intel Core i5-14600K is actually considered a good choice for gaming, including competitive gaming, due to its high single-core max turbo boost frequency and support for DDR5 memory. It's a capable mid-range CPU that offers a balance between performance and price, making it suitable for many gaming setups. 

In terms of upgrading to an i7-14700K, the performance gains in gaming could be marginal depending on the game and other system components. The i7-14700K does have more physical cores and a larger cache size, which can contribute to better multitasking and potentially smoother gaming experiences in CPU-intensive scenarios.  

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Bbainfo,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Based on the specifications, the i7 14700K is the latest and better in terms of overall specification compared to the i5 12600K.

However, your game performance will still depend on your overall system specifications and configurations.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello bbainfo,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the information we posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter. 

Also, I want to inform you that, the Intel Core i5-14600K is actually considered a good choice for gaming, including competitive gaming, due to its high single-core max turbo boost frequency and support for DDR5 memory. It's a capable mid-range CPU that offers a balance between performance and price, making it suitable for many gaming setups. 

In terms of upgrading to an i7-14700K, the performance gains in gaming could be marginal depending on the game and other system components. The i7-14700K does have more physical cores and a larger cache size, which can contribute to better multitasking and potentially smoother gaming experiences in CPU-intensive scenarios.  

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

bbainfo
Novice
Thank you both for explaining that. I will choose 14600K then.

Best regards,
Bruno.
0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello bbainfo,

Thank you so much for the response and for considering the suggestions that we have shared.

For additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

By the way, good luck with your new purchase of a 14600K processor!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos