Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14657 Discussions

cinebench crashing when using single core test on i5 14500

Cynicalcare
Beginner

Hello. Ever since, I bought my processor, I am experiencing this problem where after half or so hour of moderate to heavy load, my system would just freeze and I have to do a hard reset to get it back working. Initially, I thought it might be due to heating issue, so I bought an AIO which doesn't allow my cpu to go even above 50 even while gaming on max settings. However the issue still persists.

Recently, I tried to stress test my CPU using cinebench. On multicore test, it finishes the 10 min mark most of the time, sometimes it would freeze and I have to hard reset again. But whenever I try to run single core stress test, it always freezes the whole system within 2-3 minutes. I tried checking individual cores by setting the affinity in task manager to just use efficient cores and it doesn't crash when using them. But whenever I am using performance cores, the crash is always there. I am not sure what's going on... can anyone pls help? The system on idle runs smoothly for around 2 hours or so and then it would randomly freeze again and I have to repeat the same process...

Please ask if you require any log files for further assessment..

Specs:

i5 14500

ASUS prime b660M-D4

1x 16GB ram 3200mhz

Zotac Nvidia GTX 1070Ti

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Cynicalcare,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Can you try running Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool for us to check if the processor will pass the test?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005567/processors.html`

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Cynicalcare
Beginner

Hello Mike.

I ran the test and it passed it. I have attached the results below.

0 Kudos
Cynicalcare
Beginner
Also, one thing I noticed. After running the stress tests consecutively, after 3-4 times, the freeze would happen again or the PC may simply end up rebooting... I am not sure what's going on here.
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cynicalcare,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Upon checking the details that you provided, you are not using a "K" processor and it passed all the test in the Processor Diagnostic tool. Let me provide gather the following details for us to proceed.

1. Are you having temperature issues?
  2. What is the temperature readings before the system reboot?
  3. Is there a chance that you can perform swap test for the processor and board to isolate the issue?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Cynicalcare
Beginner
Hello Mike. To answer your questions:

1. Currently I am not having any temperature issues. Even during the diagnostic tool stress test, the temperature was stable around 60°C overall.

2. The reboot happens randomly. If system is left idle, most of the time it happens after 2 hours have elapsed or if I am running any benchmark or stress test it happens after I run it 2-3 times.

3. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare mobo lying around, hence I am also confused about whether it's a CPU issue or mobo issue. I checked my ram and psu to eliminate them as potential problem.

The PC would work in safe mode and I tried clean booting, removing all drivers and reinstalling them but that didn't fix it either. So I don't think it's a driver issue either
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cynicalcare,

Thank you for the update.

You are correct, at this point it is hard to tell between the processor and the board.

That is why we recommend to perform swap test.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Cynicalcare,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Cynicalcare
Beginner
Hello Mike. I am currently in the process of RMAing my motherboard to see if it was the issue. It will take quite a while, hence, I think you can close this topic for now.
0 Kudos