Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14641 Discussions

i9 13900KF reaching "thermal throttling

BryceM
Beginner

Good afternoon.

For image stacking, I use "Zerene Stacker" programme, which is a focus stacking software. The photographs I am stacking can range from 10 to 100, depending on the size of the stack. The photos are 287mb, 16bit TIFF files.

Looking in HWiNFO64, I can see some, but not all, cores reaching 98 degrees and then seeing "core thermal throttling"; the cores only barely sit at 98 degrees; most other cores appear to sit considerably lower.

My question is: how detrimental is this to the CPU??

My system is the following

Intel Core i9-13900KF

GIGABYTE Z790M AORUS ELITE AX

Corsair DDR5 32gb ram

ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 V2 GAMING OC LHR
Zalman reserator5 CQ9160 - AIO, plus a number of other fans in the case.

Thanks
Bryce

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM, 

Thank you for posting in the communities. I want to let you know that the maximum temperature for the i9 13900KF is 100°C. This means that the temperature you have observed is still within the allowable temperature. Being at maximum temperature while running a workload isn't necessarily cause for concern. Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can very rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage.

You may also visit this link for more information: Information about Temperature for Intel® Processors 

However, I understand that you want to make sure everything is alright in your system. I just want to ask, does your system randomly shuts down when running the software? Kindly also please run the Intel Processor and Diagnostic Tool and Intel XTU to further diagnose your processor. Feel free to post here the screenshot of the result. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
BryceM
Beginner
Good evening,

Thanks for your prompt response.

Regarding system crashes, I use to get it a bit with a air cooler. But sinse switching to a Aio this hasn't happened. It's only crashed once when running xtu, but after a restart and a couple more runs, no issues, passes everything fine, however it does throttle.

The benchmark, is xtu is just over 13000, so from my small amount of understanding regarding that score, that's not to bad?

I'm running base configuration in gigabyte bios and only have xmp switched on for ram. From my reading dispite the i9 13900kf being able to over clock more and having features in bios such as enhanced muticore etc - I haven't switched these on, as if the system throttles with xtu stress test, it would most likely crash with any other features turned on.
0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM, 

Thank you for sharing this details. For now it is best if I coordinate this with our team. I promise to get back to you on this thread as soon as possible. Thank you!

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
BryceM
Beginner

Thanks Ramyer,

I will just add that, after intense reading, I have added "intel recommend power limit" to my bios, as the motherboard has it unchecked, which, from my reading, basically allows it to pull as much power as it wants. 

The main application i use is Zerene, this will make it throttle, as mentioned any tests in XTU will throttle too.  

Running stress test in XTU - 2 P cores (P core 5 and P core 7) hit 100 c, these two cores hit 98/97 basiclly off the get go.

Hopefully this helps. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM,

Thank you for patiently waiting and for sharing additional information with your concern. I do want to let you know that system throttling during a stress test, such as with XTU or IPDT, is a common occurrence. We do want to investigate the CPU thoroughly determine if there are underlying issues. As such, kindly please try the following steps: 

1. Kindly please Execute the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool (IPDT) to assess the processor's performance and share with us the screenshot of the result
  2. Follow the Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors article.
  3. Observe if the high-temperature issue arises exclusively when using Zerene Stacker, or also when running basic applications like a web browser or photo viewer.
  4. Utilize Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) to monitor and compare temperatures. Ensure all views are enabled by clicking the wrench icon and selecting 'Select All'.
  5. Additionally, does the issue occur only when Zerene stacker is in use or in any single application active?

Feel free to share in this post the results. I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM,

I am just checking in if everything is alright in your system. Were you able to follow my recommendations? How did it go?

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
BryceM
Beginner

Good afternoon,

Intel processor diagnostic tool past fine. Also attached full results.

I have only observed those high temps with Zerene and stress testing in XTU - as mentioned earlier, it only seems to be 2 cores that high 100.

BryceM_0-1715228948786.png

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM,

Thank you for responding back to us. I appreciate the screenshot that you have shared for the diagnostic test result. Would you be able to send us as well a screenshot of the test results in XTU? Were you also able to try the steps in this article: Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors. 

I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello BryceM,

I am just following up about the details I have asked in my previous post. Kindly please share this with us so we can continue investigating your concern regarding the i9 13900KF.I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos