Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14584 Discussions

i9 13900KS crashing games and for higher demanding games BSODs

steveparker
Beginner

my pc in the past month has been acting really wierd in terms of its stability i run everything standard and games will randomly close and the ones that are more cpu heavy will crash with a BSOD. i ran all the tests imaginable with RAM one by one and that was fine i my GPU is fine. both of these are fully compatible with my mobo and everything is up to date with drivers so thats a non issue windows 11 pro is up to date having done some digging in to this issue i found mention of similar issues with these chips and i really dont want to be messing around with voltages and such to fix a issue when the chip should work out of the box. it was purchased brand new in april 2023 and shouldnt be showing signs like this when its not one year old. the specs of my pc are 

ASRock Z790 PG Riptide

BIOS Version 9.06
Date 9/21/2023
MOTHERBOARD 
Manufacturer ASRock
Model Z790 PG Riptide
OPERATING SYSTEM
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit) 
Version (Build) 23H2 (10.0.22631)

Devices and Drivers

PROCESSOR

13th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-13900KS

GRAPHICS

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT

AUDIO

High Definition Audio Device

AMD High Definition Audio Device

AMD Streaming Audio Device

USB Audio Device

NETWORKING AND I/O

Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

MEMORY

32 GB corsair vengeance rgb grey 32gb 6000mhz ddr5

STORAGE

Generic Flash Disk USB Device

GIGABYTE GP-ASM2NE2512GTTDR

Samsung SSD 980 1TB

WDC WDS100T2G0A-00JH30

KINGSTON SA400S37240G

KINGSTON SA400S37120G

memory is CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30 which is compatable i ran memory tests on all sticks inserted and then individually they were fine.

i ran AVX2 this is the results

CPU Stress Test with AVX2 started at 07:04.

The CPU Power Throttled from 07:04:46 to 07:06:18

The CPU Stress Test with AVX2 Failed.

temperatures were around 80c to 90c and spike at 95c

CPU cooler is DeepCool LS720 SE 360mm ARGB AIO Liquid/Water CPU Cooler idle temp is 40c-45c

i reinstalled windows 11 pro fresh on to my ssd and nothing changed after i updated all windows updates and drivers. 

not sure what to do at this point

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Steveparker,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please provide the following details so we can further investigate our issue:

• Have you made any system modifications that might be the cause of the issue? And did the issue only happen recently? 
  • You have mentioned that you encounter BSODs when the processor is running heavy applications, etc. Could you please provide us with the error message that appeared when the BSOD occurred?
  • When you tried the AVX testing, were there any applications that were open in the background?
  • May we know your power supply brand and model so we may be able to check if it's suitable for your system? 

And in the meantime, please perform the troubleshooting steps below for a possible solution:

• Please try to load the default BIOS setting on your system.
  • Start the system in minimal configuration. Minimal configuration: motherboard, processor, power supply unit, and one DRAM module.
  • Also, please try our Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and run the Burn-in Test for processor stress testing, then share the results with us.

I look forward to your response!

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
steveparker
Beginner
No modifications, no overclocking, gave me multiple different errors sometimes memory related. Powered by 1200 watt psu. I RMA it to the supplier they have now tested it also and found it to be at fault and have issued a replacement/credit guess I just got a little unlucky on the silicon lottery things are like that sometimes. The CPU itself is a great addition to any pc build.
0 Kudos
Nomy
Beginner
So it was the psu?
I have the same issues.. allt of people with i9 13th and 14th have the same.
0 Kudos
steveparker
Beginner

no it wasn't the PSU, i used the diagnostic tool from intel and it failed testing so i had to Return Merchandise Authorisation the chip. it was still inside its 3 year warranty so i got a new CPU after 2 days wait time. not had any problems since.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Steveparker,

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We hope that you will have your replacement soon.

If you need anything else, please let me know. I will be happy to help you.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos