Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14635 Discussions

i9-14900K showing as Celeron Processor G6900 in BIOS and Windows 11

StormSoulTV
Beginner

I bought a i9-14900K from Amazon from their like-new warehouse and when I installed it, the BIOS detected it as a Celeron G6900. 

I have the latest BIOS for my Z790 MSI motherboard and it's in the compatibility list, as supported.

It's only reporting 2 cores out of the expected 24.

Needless to say, I'm a bit gutted, as was looking forward to using it this weekend.

Two possibilities, the person that return it to Amazon, swapped the lid with a Celeron or it's a manufacturing error.

If someone has swapped the lid, this is the shadiest thing I've ever seen.

Has anyone ever heard of this happen before?

I've reported it to Amazon and they're doing a swap.

Even with a BIOS that isn't up to date, the CPUID would report correctly right?

It's not just the CPUID, it's the number of cores and base clock speed and cache.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Obviously, you've received one of the remarked parts from China. They bought one, returned this remarked part as that one and then kept the (free) original.

I honestly don't understand why folks will take chances making purchases like this, especially when this crap is going on all the time.

...S

StormSoulTV
Beginner

This was sold direct from Amazon, it wasn't from a 3rd party seller on their site.  It was a return that they shipped out to me.  There wasn't any brand new ones available direct from them, when I ordered.

Thanks for the insight

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Right. A Return. I won't accept Returns.

Hopefully, Amazon handles this properly and you get what you paid for. They are responsible for stopping this crap from happening on their site.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just in case, let me remind you that a lot of the Intel stock appearing on the Amazon site is without any warranty. Careful!

...S

0 Kudos
StormSoulTV
Beginner

Hi

Below is the processor, notice it has 3 rows of gold contacts above the left lid flap.

A real i9-14900K has 7 rows of gold contacts. I've included images of a real i9-14900K and a real Celeron G6900 that I obtained from the web to compare against what I had. It's clear the lid has been swapped. There is even some scratches on the surface of the lid.

Scam Celeron G6900 sold as i9-14900KScam Celeron G6900 sold as i9-14900KReal i9-14900KReal i9-14900KReal Celeron G6900Real Celeron G6900

0 Kudos
StormSoulTV
Beginner

I made a YouTube video to show the difference between these and share my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN6X8gLbVDw

0 Kudos
Schnappi
Beginner

Had the same, ordered a Intel Core i9 14900K directly from Amazon Germany and received the Celeron CPU ... 

I am angry...

It seems to be a big Problem with Amazon

0 Kudos