Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Arria II GX Development Boards Unused i/os

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am wondering what would be the safe state of the unused i/os on the arria ii gx development board. What I worry about is when I do not use a particular i/os it may still be connected on the board to some other device and I am wondering about what I should set these i/os to be?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

setting the unused I/O to Input Tristate with weak pullup is a good idea.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually, I am wondering if doing this will cause problems with other devices on the a2gx development board. I am wondering if there is a quick list that Altera puts out indicating which i/os are absolutely necessary to be driven.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may refer to the Arria II GX pin connection guideline: http://www.altera.com/literature/dp/arria-ii-gx/pcg-01007.pdf

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the PCG is good if you're designing a board, but if you're using a devkit i'm not sure its all that helpful. 

setting unused I/O to input with weak pullup shouldn't break anything, but it might set (unused) peripherals into unknown modes or other unexpected behavior. then again if you aren't using that particular feature you probably don't care what mode its in. 

you could take a look at the some of the included example designs to see what they have done with unused pins.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes! input with weak pullups is what the example designs put unused i/os in. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i should have been a bit clearer. i was also thinking of checking any pins that are driven to vcc or gnd in the top level of those project files, which would set any other required outputs to something other than unused.

0 Kudos