Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20711 Discussions

Can’t find generation for .hex in Quartus 22.1

Jcole
New Contributor I

Hi,

I’m trying to fill an Intel ROM IP generated in Quartus with a Hex file also generated by Quartus. I want to generate a HEX file from a SOF File I have, that too was generated in Quartus. I go to File -> Convert Programming File to generate the file, but I don’t see the option for the HEX file format.  I tried using the hexout files for the ROM generation, but get an error:

Error (127000): Can't read Memory Initialization File or Hexadecimal (Intel-Format) File output_file.hexout for ROM instance ALTSYNCRAM. If the file exists, it is not in correct format.  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

This isn't possible.  A .hex for an on-chip RAM or ROM is created manually as a separate file (File menu -> New) and then incorporated into a .sof or other programming file.  You can't extract a .hex from an existing programming file.

Convert programming file is only used to do just that: convert an existing programming file from one format to another.

0 Kudos
Jcole
New Contributor I

My end goal is to write an external FPGA image file in the flash then use it with the Remote Update System to reprogram new FPGA versions. I have the RSU system working, and I can communicate with the Flash, but just trying to test out writing the SOF/POF data to the flash.  I wanted to use a ROM to hold the data during testing phase, but not sure what's the best method for testing the flash writing. 

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Hmm, not sure on that then.  I'm sure others can help.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

You can use various bin2hex tools for the conversion.

It's however not quite clear what you want to achieve. Why would you store .sof configuration file in on-chip ROM?

Or do you mean, you are converting .sof to .hexout with programming file generator tool? It's intended to program e.g. configuration flash.

0 Kudos
Jcole
New Contributor I

In my final design I wanted my FPGA able to receive a new programming file from an external source (possibly a processor), the FPGA will then write the new programming file into flash (EPCQ128A in this case) and use the Remote Update System in conjunction with the flash to update the FPGA. 

Currently in the testing phase I don't have my external source setup, so I wanted to try storing the new programming file into a ROM and write the ROM contents into the flash. 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

I see what you want to achieve, problem is however that memory capacity of embedded ROM is much smaller than configuration image size. You can't store a full configuration bit stream in embedded ROM, even if device utilization is low and image compressed.

0 Kudos
Jcole
New Contributor I

Understandable, I was planning on storing the data in mif files and supplying it to possibly 3 or 4 different ROM modules, hopefully this plan doesn't utilize all the available resources in the FPGA. 

0 Kudos
Jcole
New Contributor I

Would the hex translation of a .rbf file be a suitable version of the image to write to flash and be used with the Remote System update? 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Yes,
.rbf works for remote update, either binary or converted to hex. I have used hex remote update image in systems with UART interface.
0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I believe your initial inquiry regarding hex generation has been answered. Do you need any further assistance in regards to this case?

Regards,

Richard Tan 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I believe your initial inquiry has been answered. If you have any follow up question, we recommend to file a new case for tracking purpose.  

We prefer a new case for each unique technical problem, as it aids our case analysis and helps us assess our customer support requirements. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Now, I will transition this thread to community support. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos